The Japanese Breast Cancer Society clinical practice guidelines for pathological diagnosis of breast cancer, 2015 edition
- 282 Downloads
The Japanese Breast Cancer Society (JBCS) Clinical Practice Guidelines were published in Japanese by Kanehara & Co., Ltd in July 2015. This article is an English digest of the guidelines for pathological diagnosis. These guidelines are updated every 2 years. In the 2015 edition, clinical questions regarding Ki67 and cell blocks were newly incorporated. All other content was reviewed and amended based on the current literature.
Guidelines for pathological diagnosis
CQ1: Is fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) recommended as a diagnostic procedure for breast lesions or axillary lymph node metastasis?
FNAC is recommended as a diagnostic procedure for breast lesions (Grade B).
FNAC for axillary lymph nodes should be performed taking into account the sampling failure and difficulty of identifying nodal disease burden (Grade C1).
CQ2: Is core needle biopsy (CNB) recommended as a diagnostic procedure for breast lesions?
KeywordsInvasive Breast Cancer Core Needle Biopsy Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology Japanese Breast Cancer Society Histological Therapeutic Effect
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Yoshinori Ito received lecture frees from Chugai, Esai and Novartis. He also received research Grants from Novartis, Chugai, Parexel, Esai, Sanofi, Taiho, EPS, Dai-ichi-sankyo and Boehringer-ingelheim. The other authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Giard RW, Hermans J. The value of routine cytologic examination of breast cyst fluids. Acta Cytol. 1987;31:301–4.Google Scholar
- 3.Yamaguchi R, Tsuchiya SI, Koshikawa T, Ishikawa A, Nasuda S, Maeda I, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of fine-needle aspiration cytology of the breast in Japan: report from the Working Group on the Accuracy of Breast Fine-Needle Aspiration Cytology of the Japanese Society of Clinical Cytology. Oncol Rep. 2012;28:1606–12.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Boland MR, Prichard RS, Daskalova I, Lowery AJ, Evoy D, Geraghty J, et al. Axillary nodal burden in primary breast cancer patients with positive pre-operative ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology: management in the era of ACOSOG Z011. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015;41:559–65.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Penco S, Rizzo S, Bozzini AC, Latronico A, Menna S, Cassano E, et al. Stereotactic vacuum-assisted breast biopsy is not a therapeutic procedure even when all mammmographically found calcification are removed: analysis of 4,086 procedures. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;195:1255–60.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Tsuda H, Akiyama F, Kurosumi M, Sakamoto G, Watanabe T. Establishment of histological criteria for high-risk node-negative breast carcinoma for a multi-institutional randomized clinical trial of adjuvant therapy. Japan National Surgical Adjuvant Study of Breast Cancer (NSAS-BC) Pathology Section. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 1998;28:486–91.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Dowsett M, Nielsen TO, A’Hern R, Bartlett J, Coombes RC, Cuzick J, Internationa Ki-67 in Breast Cancer Working Group, et al. Assessment of Ki67 in breast cancer: recommendations from the International Ki67 in Breast Cancer working group. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:1656–64.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Synnestvedt M, Borgen E, Russnes HG, Kumar NT, Schlichting E, Giercksky KE, et al. Combined analysis of vascular invasion, grade, HER2 and Ki67 expression identifies early breast cancer patients with questionable benefit of systemic adjuvant therapy. Acta Oncol. 2013;52(1):91–101.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Viale G, Regan MM, Mastropasqua MG, Maffini F, Maiorano E, Colleoni M, et al. International Breast Cancer Study Group. Predictive value of tumor Ki-67 expression in two randomized trials of adjuvant chemoendocrine therapy for node-negative breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100(3):207–12.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.von Minckwitz G, Sinn HP, Raab G, Loibl S, Blohmer JU, Eidtmann H, Hilfrich J, et al. German Breast Group. Clinical response after two cycles compared to HER2, Ki-67, p53, and bcl-2 in independently predicting a pathological complete response after preoperative chemotherapy in patients with operable carcinoma of the breast. Breast Cancer Res. 2008;10(2):R30.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Jones RL, Salter J, A’Hern R, Nerurkar A, Parton M, Reis-Filho JS, et al. Relationship between oestrogen receptor status and proliferation in predicting response and long-term outcome to neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119(2):315–23.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Guarneri V, Piacentini F, Ficarra G, Frassoldati A, D’Amico R, Giovannelli S, et al. A prognostic model based on nodal status and Ki-67 predicts the risk of recurrence and death in breast cancer patients with residual disease after preoperative chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2009;20(7):1193–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Bear HD, Anderson S, Smith RE, Geyer CE Jr, Mamounas EP, Fisher B, et al. Sequential preoperative or postoperative docetaxel added to preoperative doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide for operable breast cancer: National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocol B-27. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:2019–27.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Sahoo S, Lester SC. Pathology of breast carcinomas after neoadjuvant chemotherapy: an overview with recommendations on specimen processing and reporting. Arch Patholo Lab Med. 2009;133:633–42.Google Scholar
- 30.Early Breast Cancer Trialists’ Collaborative Group (EBCTCG), Davies C, Godwin J, Gray R, Clarke M, Cutter D, Darby S, et al. Relevance of breast cancer hormone receptors and other factors to the efficacy of adjuvant tamoxifen: patient-level meta-analysis of randomized trials. Lancet. 2011;378:771–84.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Allred DC, Anderson SJ, Paik S, Wickerham DL, Nagtegaal ID, Swain SM, et al. Adjuvant tamoxifen reduces subsequent breast cancer in women with estrogen receptor-positive ductal carcinoma in situ: a study based on NASBP protocol B-24. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:1268–73.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 34.Endo Y, Toyama T, Takahashi S, Sugiura H, Yoshimoto N, Iwasa M, et al. High estrogen receptor expression and low Ki67 expression are associated with improved time to progression during first-line endocrine therapy with aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer. Int J Clin Oncol. 2011;16:512–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Barnes DM, Harris WH, Smith P, Millis RR, Rubens RD. Immunohistochemical determination of oestrogen receptor: comparison of different methods of assessment of staining and correlation with clinical outcome of breast cancer patients. Br J Cancer. 1996;74(9):1445–51.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 40.Hammond ME, Hayes DF, Dowsett M, Allred DC, Hagerty KL, Badve S, American Society of Clinical Oncology, College of American Pathologists, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for immunohistochemical testing of estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer (unabridged version). Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134(7):e48–72.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Leake R, Barnes D, Pinder S, Ellis I, Anderson L, Anderson T, et al. Immunohistochemical detection of steroid receptors in breast cancer: a working protocol. UK Receptor Group, UK NEQAS, The Scottish Breast Cancer Pathology Group, and The Receptor and Biomarker Study Group of the EORTC. J Clin Pathol. 2000;53(8):634—5.Google Scholar
- 48.Bast RC Jr, Ravdin P, Hayes DF, Bates S, Fritsche H Jr, Jessup JM, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology Tumor Markers Expert Panel. 2000 update of recommendations for the use of tumor markers in breast and colorectal cancer: clinical practice guidelines of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19(6):1865–78.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.Wolf AC, Hammond EH, Hicks DG, Dowsett M, McShane LM, Allison KM, et al. Recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists Clinical Practice guideline update. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31(31):3997–4014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 63.Lyman GH, Giuliano AE, Somerfield MR, Benson AB, Bodurka DC, Burstein HJ, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology. American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:7703–20.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 64.UICC International Union Against Cancer TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours, 7th edition. 2009. Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- 67.Shabaik A, Lin G, Peterson M, Hasteh F, Tipps A, Datnow B, et al. Reliability of Her2/neu, estrogen receptor, and progesterone receptor testing by immunohistochemistry on cell block of FNA and serous effusions from patients with primary and metastatic breast carcinoma. Diag cytopathol. 2011;39:328–32.CrossRefGoogle Scholar