Formation of willow leaf-like structures composed of NH2-MIL68(In) on a multifunctional multiwalled carbon nanotube backbone for enhanced photocatalytic reduction of Cr(VI)
- 70 Downloads
Efficient separation and transfer of photogenerated electron/hole as well as enhanced visible light absorption play essential roles in photocatalytic reactions. To promote the photocatalytic reduction of Cr(VI), a toxic heavy metal ion, multiwalled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) was introduced as an electron acceptor into NH2-MIL-68(In). This led to the growth of a willow leaf-like metal-organic framework (MOF) on an MWCNT backbone forming MWCNT/NH2-MIL-68(In) (PL-1), which showed a highly efficient transfer of photogenerated carriers. Moreover, MWCNT incorporation introduced more mesopores for Cr(VI) diffusion and enhanced the visible light adsorption without lowering the conduction band position. As a result, the photocatalytic kinetic constant of PL-1 was found to be almost three times higher than that of the parent NH2-MIL-68(In). Thus, growing MOFs on MWCNTs provides a facile and promising solution for effective remediation of environmental pollution by utilizing solar energy. This work provides the first example of using MWCNT/MOF composites for photocatalytic reactions.
KeywordsNH2-MIL-68(In) multiwalled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) photocatalytic reduction Cr(VI)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zhang, N.; Zhang, Y. H.; Pan, X. Y.; Fu, X. Z.; Liu, S. Q.; Xu, Y. J. Assembly of CdS nanoparticles on the twodimensional graphene scaffold as visible-light-driven photocatalyst for selective organic transformation under ambient conditions. J. Phys. Chem. C 2011, 115, 23501–23511.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shen, L. J.; Liang, S. J.; Wu, W. M.; Liang, R. W.; Wu, L. Multifunctional NH2-mediated zirconium metal-organic framework as an efficient visible-light-driven photocatalyst for selective oxidation of alcohols and reduction of aqueous Cr(VI). Dalton Trans. 2013, 42, 13649–13657.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liang, R. W.; Jing, F. F.; Shen, L. J.; Qin, N.; Wu, L. M@MIL-100(Fe) (M = Au, Pd, Pt) nanocomposites fabricated by a facile photodeposition process: Efficient visible-light photocatalysts for redox reactions in water. Nano Res. 2015, 8, 3237–3249.Google Scholar
- Liang, R. W.; Shen, L. J.; Jing, F. F.; Wu, W. M.; Qin, N.; Lin, R.; Wu, L. NH2-mediated indium metal–organic framework as a novel visible-light-driven photocatalyst for reduction of the aqueous Cr(VI). Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 2015, 162, 245–251.Google Scholar
- Feng, W.; Feng, Y. Y.; Wu, Z. G.; Fujii, A.; Ozaki, M.; Yoshino, K. Optical and electrical characterizations of nanocomposite film of titania adsorbed onto oxidized multiwalled carbon nanotubes. J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 2005, 17, 4361–4368.Google Scholar
- Xu, G. H.; Zhang, Q.; Zhou, W. P.; Huang, J. Q.; Wei, F. The feasibility of producing MWCNT paper and strong MWCNT film from VACNT array.Appl. Phys. A 2008, 92, 531–539.Google Scholar
- Wang, A. J.; Song, J. B.; Huang, Z. P.; Song, Y. L.; Yu, W.; Dong, H. L.; Hu, W. P.; Cifuentes, M. P.; Humphrey, M. G.; Zhang, L. et al. Multi-walled carbon nanotubes covalently functionalized by axially coordinated metal-porphyrins: Facile syntheses and temporally dependent optical performance. Nano Res. 2016, 9, 458–472.CrossRefGoogle Scholar