Highly uniform and nonlinear selection device based on trapezoidal band structure for high density nano-crossbar memory array
- 77 Downloads
Crossbar array provides a cost-effective approach for achieving high-density integration of two-terminal functional devices. However, the “sneaking current problem”, which can lead to read failure, is a severe challenge in crossbar arrays. To inhibit the sneaking current from unselected cells, the integration of individual selection devices is necessary. In this work, we report a novel TaOx-based selector exhibiting a trapezoidal band structure formed by tuning the concentration of defects in the oxide. Salient features such as a high current density (1 MA·cm–2), high selectivity (5 × 104), low off-state current (~10 pA), robust endurance (>1010), self-compliance, and excellent uniformity were successfully achieved. The integrated one-selector one-resistor (1S1R) device exhibits high nonlinearity in the low resistance state (LRS), which is quite effective in solving the sneaking current issue.
Keywordscrossbar array selector trapezoidal barrier gradient oxygen concentration high uniformity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gao, B.; Bi, Y. J.; Chen, H. Y.; Liu, R.; Huang, P.; Chen, B.; Liu, L. F.; Liu, X. Y.; Yu, S. M.; Wong, H. S. P. et al. Ultra-low-energy three-dimensional oxide-based electronic synapses for implementation of robust high-accuracy neuromorphic computation systems. ACS Nano 2014, 8, 6998–7004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jiang, A. Q.; Wang, C.; Jin, K. J.; Liu, X. B.; Scott, J. F.; Hwang, C. S.; Tang, T. A.; Lu, H. B.; Yang, G. Z. A resistive memory in semiconducting BiFeO3 thin-film capacitors. Adv. Mater. 2011, 23, 1277–1281.Google Scholar
- Luo, Q.; Xu, X. X.; Liu, H. T.; Lv, H. B.; Gong, T. C.; Long, S. B.; Liu, Q.; Sun, H. T.; Banerjee, W.; Li, L. et al. Cu BEOL compatible selector with high selectivity (>107), extremely low off-current (∼pA) and high endurance (>1010). In 2015 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), Washington, DC, 2015, pp 10.4.1–10.4.4.Google Scholar
- Gopalakrishnan, K.; Shenoy, R. S.; Rettner, C. T.; Virwani, K.; Bethune, D. S.; Shelby, R. M.; Burr, G. W.; Kellock, A.; King, R. S.; Nguyen, K. et al. Highly-scalable novel access device based on mixed ionic electronic conduction (MIEC) materials for high density phase change memory (PCM) arrays. In 2010 Symposium on VLSI Technology, Honolulu, 2010, pp 205–206.Google Scholar
- Kim, S.; Liu, X. J.; Park, J.; Jung, S.; Lee, W.; Woo, J.; Shin, J.; Choi, G.; Cho, C.; Park, S. et al. Ultrathin (<10 nm) Nb2O5/NbO2 hybrid memory with both memory and selector characteristics for high density 3D vertically stackable RRAM applications. In 2012 Symposium on VLSI Technology (VLSIT), Honolulu, HI, 2012, pp 155–156.Google Scholar