Rapid identification of electricigens via silver-plated photonic crystal filters
- 296 Downloads
Short acquisition time and small volumes of incubated bacterial cultures are ideal for the routine and rapid identification or screening of electricigens in research and applications of microbial fuel cells. In this study, a functional substrate based on colloidal photonic crystals (PCs) was developed both for the filtration and identification of electricigens by surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS). The fabrication of the substrate was simplified by electroless plating of silver on filtration-based self-assembled PCs on a filter membrane. The silver-plated ordered PC structure provided a 107-fold enhancement of Raman intensity compared to that obtained with a bare PC substrate. The substrate allowed for a “drop and measure” method of bacterial identification within 5 min with a 5 μL sample volume only. The results showed that not only the electricigens Geobacter sp. and Shewanella sp. could be discriminated with species and strain specificity, but also Geobacter sp. and pilus-mutated Geobacter sp. strains. The developed silver-plated PC filter offers tremendous opportunities in energetic, environmental, and clinical applications.
Keywordselectricigens surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) photonic crystal electroless plating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Shanmukh, S.; Jones, L.; Zhao, Y.-P.; Driskell, J. D.; Tripp, R. A.; Dluhy, R. A. Identification and classification of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) strains by surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy and multivariate statistical techniques. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2008, 390, 1551–1555.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Çulha, M.; Yazici, M. M.; Kahraman, M.; Sahin, F.; Kocagöz, S. Surface-enhanced Raman scattering of bacteria in microwells constructed from silver nanoparticles. J. Nanotechnol. 2012, 2012, Article ID297560.Google Scholar
- Ling, X. Y.; Yan, R. X.; Lo, S.; Hoang, D. T.; Liu, C.; Fardy, M. A.; Khan, S. B.; Asiri, A. M.; Bawaked, S. M.; Yang, P. D. Alumina-coated Ag nanocrystal monolayers as surfaceenhanced Raman spectroscopy platforms for the direct spectroscopic detection of water splitting reaction intermediates. Nano Res. 2014, 7, 132–143.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu, W.; Zhu, Y. S.; Chen, X.; Wang, J.; Tao, L.; Xu, S.; Liu, T.; Song, H. W. A novel strategy for improving upconversion luminescence of NaYF4:Yb, Er nanocrystals by coupling with hybrids of silver plasmon nanostructures and poly(methyl methacrylate) photonic crystals. Nano Res. 2013, 6, 795–807.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, X.; Tremblay, P.-L.; Malvankar, N. S.; Nevin, K. P.; Lovley, D. R.; Vargas, M. A Geobacter sulfurreducens strain expressing Pseudomonas aeruginosa type IVpili localizes OmcS on pili but is deficient in Fe(III) oxide reduction and current production. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2014, 80, 1219–1224.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guo, M.; Xie, K. Y.; Lin, J.; Yong, Z. H.; Yip, C. T.; Zhou, L. M.; Wang, Y.; Huang, H. T. Design and coupling of multifunctional TiO2 nanotube photonic crystal to nanocrystalline titania layer as semi-transparent photoanode for dye-sensitized solar cell. Energy Environ. Sci. 2012, 5, 9881–9888.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, Y. L.; Wei, H.; Li, B. L.; Ren, W.; Guo, S. J.; Dong, S. J.; Wang, E. K. SERS opens a new way in aptasensor for protein recognition with high sensitivity and selectivity. Chem. Commun. 2007, 5220–5222.Google Scholar
- Zhou, H. B.; Yang, D. T.; Mircescu, N. E.; Ivleva, N. P.; Schwarzmeier, K.; Wieser, A.; Schubert, S.; Niessner, R.; Haisch, C. Surface-enhanced Raman scattering detection of bacteria on microarrays at single cell levels using silver nanoparticles. Microchim. Acta 2015, 182, 2259–2266.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nevin, K. P.; Kim, B.-C.; Glaven, R. H.; Johnson, J. P.; Woodard, T. L.; Methé, B. A.; DiDonato, R. J.; Covalla, S. F.; Franks, A. E.; Liu, A. N. et al. Anode biofilm transcriptomics reveals outer surface components essential for high density current production in Geobacter sulfurreducens fuel cells. PLoS One, 2009, 4, e5628.Google Scholar