Uniformly dispersed FeO x atomic clusters by pulsed arc plasma deposition: An efficient electrocatalyst for improving the performance of Li–O2 battery
- 170 Downloads
The present study explored a new method to improve the catalytic activity of non-precious metals, especially in electrochemical reactions. Highly ionized Fe plasma produced by arc discharge was uniformly deposited on a porous carbon substrate and formed atomic clusters on the carbon surface. The as-prepared FeO x /C material was tested as a cathode material in a rechargeable Li–O2 battery under different current rates. The results showed significant improvement in battery performance in terms of both cycle life and reaction rate. Furthermore, X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) results showed that the as-prepared cathode material stabilized the cathode and reduced side reactions and that the current rate was a critical factor in the nucleation of the discharge products.
KeywordsLi–O2 battery FeOx atomic cluster electrocatalyst pulsed arc plasma deposition (APD)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lei, Y.; Lu, J.; Luo, X.; Wu, T.; Du, P.; Zhang, X.; Ren, Y.; Wen, J.; Miller, D. J.; Miller, J. T. et al. Synthesis of porous carbon supported palladium nanoparticle catalysts by atomic layer deposition: Application for rechargeable lithium–O2 battery. Nano Lett. 2013, 13, 4182–4189.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lu, J.; Lei, Y.; Lau, K. C.; Luo, X.; Du, P.; Wen, J.; Assary, R. S.; Das, U.; Miller, D. J.; Elam, J. W. et al. A nanostructured cathode architecture for low charge overpotential in lithiumoxygen batteries. Nat. Commun. 2013, 4, 2383.Google Scholar
- Luo, X.; Piernavieja-Hermida, M.; Lu, J.; Wu, T.; Wen, J.; Ren, Y.; Miller, D.; Fang, Z. Z.; Lei, Y.; Amine, K. Pd nanoparticles on ZnO-passivated porous carbon by atomic layer deposition: An effective electrochemical catalyst for Li-O2 battery. Nanotechnology 2015, 26, 164003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yamamoto, Y.; Agawa, Y.; Hara, Y.; Amano, S.; Chayahara, A.; Horino, Y.; Fujii, K. Development of a coaxial type vacuum arc evaporation source. In Proceedings of the 1998 International Conference on Ion Implantation Technology Proceedings, Kyoto, 1999, pp 1148–1150.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Z. C.; Lu, J.; Assary, R. S.; Du, P.; Wang, H. H.; Sun, Y. K.; Qin, Y.; Lau, K. C.; Greeley, J.; Redfern, P. C. et al. Increased stability toward oxygen reduction products for lithium-air batteries with oligoether-functionalized silane electrolytes. J. Phys. Chem. C 2011, 115, 25535–25542.CrossRefGoogle Scholar