Characterization of the thermal conductivity of La0.95Sr0.05CoO3 thermoelectric oxide nanofibers
- 302 Downloads
Thermoelectric oxide nanofibers prepared by electrospinning are expected to have reduced thermal conductivity when compared to bulk samples. Measurements of nanofibers’ thermal conductivity is challenging since it involves sophisticated sample preparation methods. In this work, we present a novel method suitable for measurements of thermal conductivity of a single nanofiber. A microelectro-mechanical (MEMS) device has been designed and fabricated to perform thermal conductivity measurements on a single nanofiber. A special Si template was designed to collect and transfer individual nanofibers onto a MEMS device. Pt was deposited by a focused ion beam to reduce the effective length of a prepared nanofiber. La0.95Sr0.05CoO3 nanofibers with diameters of 140 nm and 290 nm were studied and characterized using this approach at room temperature. Measured thermal conductivities yielded values of 0.7 W·m−1·K−1 and 2.1 W·m−1·K−1, respectively. Our measurements in La0.95Sr0.05CoO3 nanofibers confirmed that a decrease of linear dimensions has a profound effect on its thermal conductivity.
Keywordsheat transfer thermal conductivity nanoscale MEMS thermoelectric
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
12274_2014_485_MOESM1_ESM.pdf (582 kb)
- Takashiri, M.; Borca-Tasciuc, T.; Jacquot, A.; Miyazaki, K.; Chen, G. Structure and thermoelectric properties of boron doped nanocrystalline Si0.8Ge0.2 thin film. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2006, 100, 054315.Google Scholar
- Bottner, H. Micropelt Miniaturized Thermoelectric Devices: Small Size, High Cooling Power Densities, Short Response Time. 24th International Conference on Thermoelectrics 2005, 1–8.Google Scholar
- Lee, E. K.; Yin, L.; Lee, Y.; Lee, J. W.; Lee, S. J.; Lee, J.; Cha, S. N.; Whang, D.; Hwang, G. S.; Hippalgaonkar, K. et al. Large thermoelectric figure-of-merits from SiGe nanowires by simultaneously measuring electrical and thermal transport properties. Nano Lett. 2012, 12, 2918–2923.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ohtaki, M. Oxide thermoelectric materials for heat-to-electricity direct energy conversion. Novel Carbon Resour. Sci. Newsl. 2009.Google Scholar
- Henry, A. S.; Chen, G. Spectral phonon transport properties of silicon based on molecular dynamics simulations and lattice dynamics. J. Comput. Theor. Nanos. 2008, 5, 141–152.Google Scholar
© Tsinghua University Press and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014