Enhanced and tunable fluorescent quantum dots within a single crystal of protein
- 857 Downloads
The design and synthesis of bio-nano hybrid materials can not only provide new materials with novel properties, but also advance our fundamental understanding of interactions between biomolecules and their abiotic counterparts. Here, we report a new approach to achieving such a goal by growing CdS quantum dots (QDs) within single crystals of lysozyme protein. This bio-nano hybrid emitted much stronger red fluorescence than its counterpart without the crystal, and such fluorescence properties could be either enhanced or suppressed by the addition of Ag(I) or Hg(II), respectively. The three-dimensional incorporation of CdS QDs within the lysozyme crystals was revealed by scanning transmission electron microscopy with electron tomography. More importantly, since our approach did not disrupt the crystalline nature of the lysozyme crystals, the metal and protein interactions were able to be studied by X-ray crystallography, thus providing insight into the role of Cd(II) in the CdS QDs formation.
Keywordsfunctional bio-nanomaterials quantum dots protein single crystals X-ray crystallography tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
12274_2013_348_MOESM1_ESM.pdf (776 kb)
- Suzuki, M.; Abe, M.; Ueno, T.; Abe, S.; Goto, T.; Toda, Y.; Akita, T.; Yamadae, Y.; Watanabe, Y. Preparation and catalytic reaction of Au/Pd bimetallic nanoparticles in Apo-ferritin. Chem. Commun. 2009, 4871–4873.Google Scholar
- Pal, S.; Sharma, J.; Yan, H.; Liu, Y. Stable silver nanoparticle-DNA conjugates for directed self-assembly of core-satellite silver-gold nanoclusters. Chem. Commun. 2009, 6059–6061.Google Scholar
- Lee, Y. J.; Yi, H.; Kim, W. J.; Kang, K.; Yun, D. S.; Strano, M. S.; Ceder, G.; Belcher, A. M. Fabricating genetically engineered high-power lithium-ion batteries using multiple virus genes. Science 2009, 324, 1051–1055.Google Scholar
- Colombo, M.; Mazzucchelli, S.; Collico, V.; Avvakumova, S.; Pandolfi, L.; Corsi, F.; Porta, F.; Prosperi, D. Protein-assisted one-pot synthesis and biofunctionalization of spherical gold nanoparticles for selective targeting of cancer cells. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 9272–9275.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, C. L.; Wu, H. T.; Hsiao, Y. H.; Lai, C. W.; Shih, C. W.; Peng, Y. K.; Tang, K. C.; Chang, H. W.; Chien, Y. C.; Hsiao, J. K. et al. Insulin-directed synthesis of fluorescent gold nanoclusters: Preservation of insulin bioactivity and versatility in cell imaging. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 7056–7060.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
© Tsinghua University Press and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013