Targeting cIAPs, a New Option for Functional Cure of Chronic Hepatitis B Infection?
Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection causes a wide spectrum of liver diseases in more than 240 million people worldwide (Ott et al.2012). Patients with chronic hepatitis B (CHB) may progress to HBV-related end-stage liver diseases, such as hepatic failure, cirrhosis or hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) (Tang et al.2018). Many international clinical practice guidelines for CHB treatment have suggested the functional cure as an ideal goal for antiviral therapy (Sarin et al.2016; European Association for the Study of the Liver 2017; Terrault et al.2018). Functional cure means sustained, undetectable HBV surface antigen (HBsAg) and HBV DNA in serum with or without seroconversion to hepatitis B surface antibody following a finite or indefinite course of treatment, which implies no virological relapse or progression of liver disease after treatment cessation (Lok et al.2017). Generally, HBsAg loss is considered as a satisfactory biomarker for functional cure. However, approved antiviral agents...
This work was partly supported by Grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81641173) and the Collaboration and Innovation Health Care Major Project of Guangzhou (201604020010).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Animal and Human Rights Statement
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest. This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
- Block TM, Alter H, Brown N, Brownstein A, Brosgart C, Chang KM, Chen PJ, Cohen C, El-Serag H, Feld J, Gish R, Glenn J, Greten TF, Guo JT, Hoshida Y, Kowdley KV, Li W, Lok AS, McMahon B, Mehta A, Perrillo R, Rice CM, Rinaudo J, Schinazi RF, Shetty K (2018) Research priorities for the discovery of a cure for chronic hepatitis B: report of a workshop. Antivir Res 150:93–100CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chesi M, Mirza NN, Garbitt VM, Sharik ME, Dueck AC, Asmann YW, Akhmetzyanova I, Kosiorek HE, Calcinotto A, Riggs DL, Keane N, Ahmann GJ, Morrison KM, Fonseca R, Lacy MQ, Dingli D, Kumar SK, Ailawadhi S, Dispenzieri A, Buadi F, Gertz MA, Reeder CB, Lin Y, Chanan-Khan AA, Stewart AK, Fooksman D, Bergsagel PL (2016) IAP antagonists induce anti-tumor immunity in multiple myeloma. Nat Med 22:1411–1420CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ebert G, Preston S, Allison C, Cooney J, Toe JG, Stutz MD, Ojaimi S, Scott HW, Baschuk N, Nachbur U, Torresi J, Chin R, Colledge D, Li X, Warner N, Revill P, Bowden S, Silke J, Begley CG, Pellegrini M (2015b) Cellular inhibitor of apoptosis proteins prevent clearance of hepatitis B virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112:5797–5802CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guidotti LG, Inverso D, Sironi L, Di Lucia P, Fioravanti J, Ganzer L, Fiocchi A, Vacca M, Aiolfi R, Sammicheli S, Mainetti M, Cataudella T, Raimondi A, Gonzalez-Aseguinolaza G, Protzer U, Ruggeri ZM, Chisari FV, Isogawa M, Sitia G, Iannacone M (2015) Immunosurveillance of the liver by intravascular effector CD8(+) T cells. Cell 161:486–500CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li N, Feng L, Han HQ, Yuan J, Qi XK, Lian YF, Kuang BH, Zhang YC, Deng CC, Zhang HJ, Yao YY, Xu M, He GP, Zhao BC, Gao L, Feng QS, Chen LZ, Yang L, Yang D, Zeng YX (2016) A novel Smac mimetic APG-1387 demonstrates potent antitumor activity in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by inducing apoptosis. Cancer Lett 381:14–22CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pan W, Luo Q, Yan X, Yuan L, Yi H, Zhang L, Li B, Zhang Y, Sun J, Qiu MZ, Yang DJ (2018) A novel SMAC mimetic APG-1387 exhibits dual antitumor effect on HBV-positive hepatocellular carcinoma with high expression of cIAP2 by inducing apoptosis and enhancing innate anti-tumor immunity. Biochem Pharmacol 154:127–135CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sarin SK, Kumar M, Lau GK, Abbas Z, Chan HL, Chen CJ, Chen DS, Chen HL, Chen PJ, Chien RN, Dokmeci AK, Gane E, Hou JL, Jafri W, Jia J, Kim JH, Lai CL, Lee HC, Lim SG, Liu CJ, Locarnini S, Al Mahtab M, Mohamed R, Omata M, Park J, Piratvisuth T, Sharma BC, Sollano J, Wang FS, Wei L, Yuen MF, Zheng SS, Kao JH (2016) Asian-Pacific clinical practice guidelines on the management of hepatitis B: a 2015 update. Hepatol Int 10:1–98CrossRefGoogle Scholar