Isolation, characterization, and phylogenic analysis of three new severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus strains derived from Hubei Province, China
- 96 Downloads
Hubei Province is a major epidemic area of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus (SFTSV) in China. However, to date, a few SFTSV strains have been isolated from Hubei Province, preventing effective studies of epidemic outbreaks. Here, we report three confirmed patients (2015–2016) with typical symptoms of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome disease (SFTS) who were farmers resident in different regions in Hubei Province. Three new SFTSV strains were isolated from the serum samples of each patient. Characterization of viral growth properties showed that there were no significant differences in virus production. All strains were completely sequenced, and phylogenetic analysis showed that unlike the other strains from Hubei province, which belonged to the SFTSV C3 genotype, one of the three strains belonged to the SFTSV C2 genotype. These results suggested that multiple SFTSV genotypes have been circulating in Hubei Province, providing insights into SFTSV evolution and improving our understanding of SFTSV prevalence in Hubei Province.
Keywordsbunyavirus severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus (SFTSV) isolation phylogenetic analysis genotype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
12250_2017_3953_MOESM1_ESM.pdf (88 kb)
- Jiao Y, Zeng X, Guo X, Qi X, Zhang X, Shi Z, Zhou M, Bao C, Zhang W, Xu Y, Wang H. 2012. Preparation and evaluation of recombinant severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome virus nucleocapsid protein for detection of total antibodies in human and animal sera by double-antigen sandwich enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J Clin Microbiol, 50: 372–377.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Xu W, Li D, Wang S, Liu K, Cui N, Fang LQ, Wang BJ, Lu QB, Peng W, Li H, Wang LY, Liang S, Wang HY, Zhang YY, Zhuang L, Yang H, Gray GC, de Vlas SJ, Liu W, Cao WC. 2014. Epidemiologic features and environmental risk factors of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome, Xinyang, China. Biomed Res Int, 8: e2820.Google Scholar
- Yoshikawa T, Shimojima M, Fukushi S, Tani H, Fukuma A, Taniguchi S, Singh H, Suda Y, Shirabe K, Toda S, Shimazu Y, Nomachi T, Gokuden M, Morimitsu T, Ando K, Yoshikawa A, Kan M, Uramoto M, Osako H, Kida K, Takimoto H, Kitamoto H, Terasoma F, Honda A, Maeda K, Takahashi T, Yamagishi T, Oishi K, Morikawa S, Saijo M. 2015. Phylogenetic and Geographic Relationships of Severe Fever With Thrombocytopenia Syndrome Virus in China, South Korea, and Japan. J Infect Dis, 212: 889–898.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yu XJ, Liang MF, Zhang SY, Liu Y, Li JD, Sun YL, Zhang L, Zhang QF, Popov VL, Li C, Qu J, Li Q, Zhang YP, Hai R, Wu W, Wang Q, Zhan FX, Wang XJ, Kan B, Wang SW, Wan KL, Jing HQ, Lu JX, Yin WW, Zhou H, Guan XH, Liu JF, Bi ZQ, Liu GH, Ren J, Wang H, Zhao Z, Song JD, He JR, Wan T, Zhang JS, Fu XP, Sun LN, Dong XP, Feng ZJ, Yang WZ, Hong T, Zhang Y, Walker DH, Wang Y, Li DX. 2011. Fever with thrombocytopenia associated with a novel bunyavirus in China. N Engl J Med, 364: 1523–1532.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhang YZ, Zhou DJ, Xiong Y, Chen XP, He YW, Sun Q, Yu B, Li J, Dai YA, Tian JH, Qin XC, Jin D, Cui Z, Luo XL, Li W, Lu S, Wang W, Peng JS, Guo WP, Li MH, Li ZJ, Zhang S, Chen C, Wang Y, de Jong MD, Xu J. 2011. Hemorrhagic fever caused by a novel tick-borne Bunyavirus in Huaiyangshan, China. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, 32: 209–220. (In Chinese)PubMedGoogle Scholar
© Wuhan Institute of Virology, CAS and Springer Science+Business Media Singapore 2017