Lack of association between integrin αvβ3 gene polymorphisms and hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in Han Chinese from Hubei, China
Hantaviruses belong to the family Bunyaviridae and cause hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS) in humans. β3 integrins, including αVβ3 and αIIbβ3 integrins, act as receptors on endothelial cells and play key roles in cellular entry during the pathogenesis of hantaviruses. Previous study demonstrated that the polymorphisms of integrin αIIbβ3 are associated with susceptibility to hantavirus infection and the disease severity of HFRS in Shaanxi Province of China, rather than in Finland. However, the polymorphisms of integrin αvβ3 in patients with HFRS was incompletely understood. Here, we aimed to investigate the associations between polymorphisms in human integrin αvβ3 and HFRS in Han Chinese individuals. Ninety patients with HFRS and 101 healthy controls were enrolled in this study. Analysis of five single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) sites (rs3768777 and rs3738919 on ITGAV; rs13306487, rs5921, and rs5918 on ITGB3) was performed by TaqMan SNP genotyping assays and bi-directional PCR allele-specific amplification method. No significant differences were observed between the HFRS group and controls regarding the genotype and allele frequency distributions of any of the five SNP sites, and no associations were found between ITGAV polymorphisms/genotypes and disease severity. In conclusion, our results implied that these five SNPs in the integrin αvβ3 gene were not associated with HFRS susceptibility or severity in Han Chinese individuals in Hubei Province.
Keywordshemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS) polymorphisms hantavirus integrin αvβ3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jacq L, Garnier S, Dieude P, Michou L, Pierlot C, Migliorini P, Balsa A, Westhovens R, Barrera P, Alves H, Vaz C, Fernandes M, Pascual-Salcedo D, Bombardieri S, Dequeker J, Radstake TR, Van Riel P, van de Putte L, Lopes-Vaz A, Glikmans E, Barbet S, Lasbleiz S, Lemaire I, Quillet P, Hilliquin P, Teixeira VH, Petit-Teixeira E, Mbarek H, Prum B, Bardin T, Cornelis F. 2007. The ITGAV rs3738919-C allele is associated with rheumatoid arthritis in the European Caucasian population: a familybased study. Arthritis Res Ther, 9: R63.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Jonsson CB, Figueiredo LT, Vapalahti O. 2010. A global perspective on hantavirus ecology, epidemiology, and disease. ClinMicrobiol Rev, 23: 412–441.Google Scholar
- Kucharska-Newton AM, Monda KL, Campbell S, Bradshaw PT, Wagenknecht LE, Boerwinkle E, Wasserman BA, Heiss G. 2011. Association of the platelet GPIIb/IIIa polymorphism with atherosclerotic plaque morphology: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Atherosclerosis, 216: 151–156.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kwok PY, Chen X. 2003. Detection of single nucleotide polymorphisms. Curr Issues MolBiol, 5: 43–60.Google Scholar
- Laine O, Joutsi-Korhonen L, Makela S, Mikkelsson J, Pessi T, Tuomisto S, Huhtala H, Libraty D, Vaheri A, Karhunen P, Mustonen J. 2012. Polymorphisms of PAI-1 and platelet GP Ia may associate with impairment of renal function and thrombocytopenia in Puumala hantavirus infection. Thromb Res, 129: 611–615.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mackow ER, Gavrilovskaya IN. 2001. Cellular receptors and hantavirus pathogenesis. Curr Top MicrobiolImmunol, 256: 91–115.Google Scholar
- Xiong HR, Li Q, Chen W, Liu DY, Ling JX, Liu J, Liu YJ, Zhang Y, Yang ZQ. 2011. Specific humoral reaction of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS) patients in China to recombinant nucleocapsid proteins from European hantaviruses. Eur J ClinMicrobiol Infect Dis, 30: 645–651.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
© Wuhan Institute of Virology, CAS and Springer Science+Business Media Singapore 2017