The first isolation of a cyanophage-Synechococcus system from the East China Sea
A cyanophage strain and its host Synechococcus were isolated from the East China Sea. The host Synechococcus sp. SJ01 was characterized by its 16S rRNA, ITS, and psbA gene sequences as well as by its morphological appearance and pigmentation. The cyanophage, strain S-SJ2, was able to cause a lytic infection of the coastal Synechococcus. TEM of negative-stained specimens showed that the phage isolate has an isometric head with a diameter of 68 nm and a long tail with a length of 280 nm. The cyanophage-Synechococcus system from the East China Sea shares many properties with other marine cyanophage-Synechococcus systems worldwide.
KeywordsSynechococcus sp. Cyanophage East China Sea
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Becker W E. 1994. Microalgae biotechnology. In: Studies on Biotechnology. (Eds.): Sir James Braddily, N. H. Carr, I. J., Higgins, W. G. Potters. University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Fuller N J, Marie D, Partensky F, Vaulot D, Post A F, Scanlan D J. 2003. Clade-specific 16S ribosomal DNA oligonucleotides reveal the predominance of a single marine Synechococcus clade throughout a stratified watercolumn in the Red Sea. Appl Environ Microbiol. 69: 2430–2443.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lindell D, Sullivan M B, Zackary I J. 2004. Transfer of photosynthesis genes to and from Prochlorococcus viruses. PNAS.101.30.11013-11018.Google Scholar
- Partensky F, Blanchot J, Vaulot D. 1999. Differential distribution and ecology of Prochlorococcus and Synechococcus in oceanic waters: a review. Bull Inst Oceanogr. 19: 457–475.Google Scholar
- Rippka R. 1988. Isolation and purification of cyanobacteria. In: Methods in Enzymology. 167: 1–7.Google Scholar
- Singh P, Singh S S, Srivastava A, Singh A, Mishra A K. 2012. Structural, functional and molecular basis of cyanophage-cyanobacterial interactions and its significance. Afr Biotechnol. 11: 2591–2608.Google Scholar
- Sullivan M B, Coleman M L, Quinlivan V. 2008. Portal protein diversity and phage ecology. Environ Microbiol.10: 2810–2823.Google Scholar
- Throdson J. 1969. Flagellates of Norwegian coastal waters. Nytt Mag Bot. 6(3-4): 161–216.Google Scholar
- Waterbury J B, Watson S W, Valois F W, Franks D G. 1986. Biological and ecological characterization of the marine unicellular cyanobacteria Synechococcus. Can Bull Fish Aquat Sci. 214: 71–120.Google Scholar