Effects of UV Exposure Time on Nanofiber Wound Dressing Properties During Sterilization
- 91 Downloads
Electrospinning and nanofiber-based products have become popular in many areas in recent years. The increase in product range has brought various necessities such as sterilization. Conventional sterilization methods can be applied to nanofiber-based products. However, their effects on different properties of nanofibers must be carefully evaluated.
In this study, the effects of ultraviolet (UV) exposure time on the average fiber diameter, contact angle, mechanical and bioadhesion properties, and drug content of the nanofiber wound dressing were investigated.
The duration of exposure time for 1 and 2 h did not cause any significant changes in the properties of the nanofibers. However, the 3-h UV exposure time significantly reduced the contact angle and tensile strength values (p < 0.05). The sterilization efficiency on both the fluid thioglycolate medium and the soybean casein digest medium was determined to be sufficient for 2 and 3 h of sterilized samples.
This study showed that UV sterilization can be used for the sterilization of nanofiber products without damaging the membrane properties. On the other hand, the UV exposure time must be carefully determined.
KeywordsNanofibers Electrospinning UV exposure Sterilization
This work was supported by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (grant number: 213M689).
- 1.Thakkar S, Misra M. Electrospun polymeric nanofibers: new horizons in drug delivery. Eur J Pharm Sci [Internet] 2017;107:148–67. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0928098717304001. Accessed 21 Nov 2018.
- 2.Zhang Y, Chwee TL, Ramakrishna S, Huang ZM. Recent development of polymer nanofibers for biomedical and biotechnological applications. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2005:933–46.Google Scholar
- 3.Dalirirad S, Steckl AJ. Aptamer-based lateral flow assay for point of care cortisol detection in sweat. Sensors Actuators, B Chem [Internet]. Elsevier. 2019;283:79–86 Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925400518321178?dgcid=rss_sd_all. Accessed 12 Feb 2019.
- 4.Braghirolli DI, Steffens D, Quintiliano K, Acasigua GAX, Gamba D, Fleck RA, et al. The effect of sterilization methods on electronspun poly(lactide-co-glycolide) and subsequent adhesion efficiency of mesenchymal stem cells. J Biomed Mater Res - Part B Appl Biomater. 2014;102:700–8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Duzyer S, Hockenberger A, Evke E, Kahveci Z, Uguz A. Effects of different sterilization methods on electrospun polyester nanofibers. Tekst ve Konfeksiyon. 2013;23:319–24.Google Scholar
- 7.Rediguieri CF, de Jesus Andreoli Pinto T, Bou-Chacra NA, Galante R, de Araújo GLB, do Nascimento Pedrosa T, et al. Ozone gas as a benign sterilization treatment for PLGA nanofiber scaffolds. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2016;22(4):338–47.Google Scholar
- 8.da Silva Aquino KA. Sterilization by gamma irradiation. Gamma Radiat [Internet]. InTech. 2012:171–206 Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/gamma-radiation/sterilization-by-gamma-irradiation. Accessed 21 Nov 2018.
- 10.De Nardo L, Bertoldi S, Cigada A, Tanzi MC, Haugen HJ, Farè S. Preparation and characterization of shape memory polymer scaffolds via solvent casting/particulate leaching. J Appl Biomater Funct Mater [Internet]. 2012;10(2):119–26. Available from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.5301/JABFM.2012.9706. Accessed 12 Feb 2019.
- 11.Shearer H, Ellis MJ, Perera SP, Chaudhuri JB. Effects of common sterilization methods on the structure and properties of poly(D,L lactic-co-glycolic acid) scaffolds. Tissue Eng [Internet]. 2006;12:2717–27. Available from: http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/ten.2006.12.2717. 12 Feb 2019.
- 15.Council of Europe. European pharmacopoeia 6th edition. Eur. Pharmacopoeia. 2007.Google Scholar
- 16.Tipnis NP, Burgess DJ. Sterilization of implantable polymer-based medical devices: a review. Int J Pharm [Internet]. 2018;544:455–60. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0378517317311304. 21 Nov 2018.
- 17.Chen L, Hu JY, Wang SQ. The role of antioxidants in photoprotection: a critical review. J Am Acad Dermatol [Internet]. 2012;67:1013–24. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0190962212001314. 21 Nov 2018.
- 18.Zhang W, Mao H, Zhou G. Effect of ultraviolet radiation combined with immersion disinfection of silicone impressions infected with hepatitis B virus and HIV. Biomed Res. 2017;28:6377–80.Google Scholar
- 19.Bruscolini F, Paolucci D, Rosini V, Sabatini L, Andreozzi E, Pianetti A. Evaluation of ultraviolet irradiation efficacy in an automated system for the aseptic compounding using challenge test. Int J Qual Heal Care [Internet]. 2015;27:412–7. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/intqhc/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/intqhc/mzv051. 21 Nov 2018.
- 21.Yixiang D, Yong T, Liao S, Chan CK, Ramakrishna S. Degradation of electrospun nanofiber scaffold by short wave length ultraviolet radiation treatment and its potential applications in tissue engineering. Tissue Eng Part A [Internet]. 2008;14:1321–9. https://doi.org/10.1089/ten.tea.2007.0395.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Foox M, Ben-Tzur M, Koifman N, Zilberman M. Effect of gamma radiation on novel gelatin alginate-based bioadhesives. Int J Polym Mater Polym Biomater. 2016;65:611–8.Google Scholar
- 24.Roy T, Maity P, Rameshbabu A, Das B, John A, Dutta A, et al. Core-shell nanofibrous scaffold based on polycaprolactone-silk fibroin emulsion electrospinning for tissue engineering applications. Bioengineering [Internet]. 2018;5:–68. Available from: http://www.mdpi.com/2306-5354/5/3/68. 12 Feb 2019.
- 25.Düzyer S, Hockenberger A, Uguz A, Evke E, Kahveci Z. Etilen Oksit, Otoklav Ve Ultra Viyole Sterilizasyonlarıının Pet Elektroçekim Liflerin Yüzey Topografisi Üzerine Etkisi. Uludağ Univ J Fac Eng [Internet]. 2016;21:201–18. Available from: http://dergipark.gov.tr/doi/10.17482/uujfe.04230. 21 Nov 2018.
- 26.Ghobeira R, Philips C, Declercq H, Cools P, De Geyter N, Cornelissen R, et al. Effects of different sterilization methods on the physico-chemical and bioresponsive properties of plasma-treated polycaprolactone films. Biomed Mater [Internet]. IOP Publishing. 2017;12:015017. Available from: http://stacks.iop.org/1748-605X/12/i=1/a=015017?key=crossref.13e380618b57fadb002caa52849eba1f. 21 Nov 2018.
- 28.Kogawa AC, Nunes HR. Doxycycline: a review of properties, applications, and analytical methods. Int J Life Sci Pharma Res. 2012;2:11–25.Google Scholar
- 29.Pourmoslemi S, Mirfakhraee S, Yaripour S, Mohammadi A. Development and Validation of a Stability-Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Rapid Determination of Doxycycline in Pharmaceutical Bulk and Dosage Forms. Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016;22(2):96–104. Google Scholar