Effects of an Exhaust Heat Recovery System on Performance Characteristics of a Forklift Truck
- 46 Downloads
Construction equipment has consumed a lot of energy with a high workload compared to commercial vehicles of the same class. So, fuel efficiency is one of the important indicators of merchantability of the construction equipment. Especially, because forklift has been generally used only when necessary, the work has been carried out without adequate warm-up. So, not only the thermal efficiency of the engine of the construction equipment has deteriorated but also the sufficient fluidity of auto transmission fluid and hydraulic fluid have been hardly able to secure. Therefore, the exhaust heat recovery (EHR) system which consists of exhaust heat recovery unit and auto-transmission fluid (ATF) heater has been developed to improve the fuel economy of forklift by recovering the waste heat of exhaust gas. The performance tests of a 4.5 ton forklift have been carried out to evaluate the effects of exhaust heat recovery system on the fuel economy under the VDI fuel consumption drive cycle. It has found that the fuel consumption of a 4.5 ton forklift can be reduced through the fast warm-up of the auto-transmission fluid by recovering the waste heat of exhaust gas.
Key WordsForklift Fast warm-up ATF heater EHR system Fuel consumption
computational Fluid Dynamics
exhaust heat recovery
height of core
height of fin
off-set length of fin
pitch of fin
thickness of fin
thickness of housing
thickness of tube
width of core
width of tube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The research was supported by a grant (No. 20172020108590) from the Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), that is funded by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy.
- Bong, S. W., Lee, H. K., Heo, H. S., Kwon, H. J., Han, J. M. and Jung, J. K. (2017). Performance analysis according to ATF heat exchanger design parameters. Fall Conf. Proc., Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 13–21.Google Scholar
- Graphtec GL820 Data Logger (2005). GL820 midi LOGGER User Manual. Graphtec Corporation.Google Scholar
- HYDAC HMG 4000 (2016). Portable Data Recorder HMG 4000 Operating Manual. HYDAC Electronic.Google Scholar
- Lee, H. S., Won, J. P., Cho, C. W., Lee, D. H., Heo, H. S. and Kim, Y. C. (2010). A study on analytic approach of powertrain fast warm-up performance characteristics for exhaust heat recovery. Fall Conf. Proc., Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 1033–1038.Google Scholar
- Ryu, H., Heo, H. S., Bae, S. J., Lee, J. Y. and Park, S. U. (2017). Design and performance experimental evaluation of the ATF heater for fast warm-up system of construction equipment. Fall Conf. Proc., Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 219–225.Google Scholar
- Type Sheets for Industrial Trucks (2002). VDI 2198. Verein Deutscher Ingenieure (Association of German Engineers).Google Scholar