Justicia sivadasanii (Acanthaceae): a striking new species from the Western Ghats, India
A new species of Justicia L. (Acanthaceae), J. sivadasanii Sunil, K. M. P. Kumar & Naveen Kum., from the Western Ghats of India is described and illustrated. Its IUCN status, distribution and phenology are provided along with colour photographs, and its affinities are discussed.
Key WordsIUCN conservation assessment Kerala new discovery south India taxonomy
The first and third authors express their grateful thanks to the University Grants Commission, New Delhi for financial assistance for this study. The second author expresses sincere gratitude to the authorities of Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal for extending the facilities and Dr Indira Balachandran, Director, CMPR for support. Thanks are also due to Dr John Wood, Honorary Research Associate, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, for sharing his views and anonymous reviewers for their excellent review and modifications. The authors express their sincere gratitude to the authorities of Kerala State Forest Department for permission for field visits and to the Head of the Department of Botany, SNM College, Maliankara for the facilities provided.
- Bremekamp, C. E. B. (1948). Notes on the Acanthaceae of Java. Verh. Kon. Akad. Wetensch., Afd. Natuurk., Sect. 2 45(2): 1 – 78.Google Scholar
- Clarke, C. B. (1884). Acanthaceae. In: J. D. Hooker (ed.), Flora of British India 4: 387 – 558. L. Reeve, London.Google Scholar
- Cramer, L. H. (1998). Acanthaceae. In: M. D. Dassanayake & W. D. Clayton (eds), A Revised Handbook to the Flora of Ceylon 12: 1 – 140. Oxford & IBH, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Gamble, J. S. & Fischer, C. E. (1924). Flora of the Presidency of Madras. Newman and Adlard, London.Google Scholar
- IUCN (2012). IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria:Version 3.1. 2nd ed. International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Gland and Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Karthikeyan, S., Murthy, S. & Sanjappa, S. M. (2009). Flowering plants of India, Dicotyledons (Acanthaceae – Avicenniaceae) Vol. 1 (4): 24 – 30. Botanical Survey of India, Kolkata.Google Scholar
- Mabberley, D. J. (2008). Mabberley’s Plant-Book 3rd ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Pradeep, A. K. & Sivarajan, V. V. (1991). Justicia ekakusuma, a new species of Acanthaceae from Peninsular India. Rheedea 1(1&2): 40 – 43.Google Scholar
- Remadevi, S. & Binoj Kumar, M. S. (2008). A new species of Justicia L. (Acanthaceae) from Kerala, India. J. Econ. Taxon. Bot 32(3): 660 – 661.Google Scholar
- ____ & ____ (2009). Contributions to the Flora of Kerala: The Family Acanthaceae, pp. 33 – 39. Bishen Singh, Mahendra Pal Singh, Dehra Dun.Google Scholar
- Sasidharan, N. (2004). Biodiversity documentation for Kerala. Part 6: Flowering Plants. Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, Kerala.Google Scholar
- ____ (2013). Flowering plants of Kerala: CD-ROM. ver 2.0. Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi, Kerala.Google Scholar