Evaluation of capacity to detect ability to form biofilm in Candida parapsilosis sensu stricto strains by MALDI-TOF MS
- 302 Downloads
Matrix assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) is, currently, used as a rapid and reliable tool in microbial diagnostics. The discriminatory power of the method extends its applicability also beyond species level. This study examined the possibility to use MALDI-TOF MS to differentiate between Candida parapsilosis sensu stricto biofilm-positive (n = 12) and biofilm-negative (n = 9) strains. The results indicated a grouping trend within MALDI-TOF mass spectra belonging to each of the tested groups. However, these trends were eclipsed by mass spectral variations resulting from limited repeatability of the method, making its application for the selected purpose impossible. Improvement in the discriminatory power of the method was not obtained neither by using different matrices (α-cyano-4-hydroxycinnamic acid, ferulic acid, 5-chloro-2-mercaptobenzothionazole) for MALDI-TOF MS analysis nor by testing different culture conditions (cultivation length, culture media).
KeywordsPlanktonic Culture Repeated Cultivation Obtain Mass Spectrum MALDI Matrice Yeast Nitrogen Base Medium
This work was supported by Proteomics Core Facility of CEITEC—Central European Institute of Technology (ID number CZ.1.05/1.1.00/02.0068) and financed by the European Regional Development Fund, by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic (the Specific University Research Grant MUNI/A/0964/2015), and by the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic (No. 16-29916A).
- Furlaneto MC, Andrade CGTJ, Furlaneto-Maia L, Franca EJG, Moralez ATP (2012) Pathogenic attributes of non-Candida albicans Candida species revealed by SEM. In: Kazmiruk V (ed) Scanning Electron Microscopy. InTech, Rijeka, pp 295–310Google Scholar
- Inglis DO, Arnaud MB, Binkley J, Shah P, Skrzypek MS, Wymore F, Binkley G, Miyasato SR, Simison M, Sherlock G (2012) The Candida Genome Database incorporates multiple Candida species: multispecies search and analysis tools with curated gene and protein information for Candida albicans and Candida glabrata. Nucleic Acids Res 40(Database issue):D667–D674CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Madonna AJ, Basile F, Ferrer I, Meetani MA, Rees JC, Voorhes KJ (2000) On-probe sample pretreatment for the detection of proteins above 15 kDa from whole cell bacteria by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 14:2220–2229CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sedo O, Vavrova A, Vadurova M, Tvrzova L, Zdrahal Z (2013) The influence of growth conditions on strain differentiation within the Lactobacillus acidophilus group using matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry profiling. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 27:2729–2736CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tumbarello M, Posteraro B, Trecarichi EM, Fiori B, Rossi M, Porta R, de Gaetano DK, La Sorda M, Spanu T, Fadda G, Cauda R, Sanguinetti M (2007) Biofilm production by Candida species and inadequate antifungal therapy as predictors of mortality for patients with candidemia. J Clin Microbiol 45:1843–1850CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar