Investigation of mechanical properties of developed antimicrobial PPsuture/Ag nanocomposite
In order to prevent surgical complications due to microbial infections, we have developed polypropylene suture grafted with silver nanoparticles (PPsuture/Ag nanocomposite) by a simple immersion procedure. Physical and mechanical properties of developed suture are investigated. Suture surface characteristics are examined by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) imaging and atomic force microscopy (AFM). Silver content on suture surface was determined by Inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy (ICP-AES). The mechanical properties of developed antibacterial PP suture/Ag were studied. We note that proposed silver coating method has not affected mechanical performances of suture. Antimicrobial performances of PP suture/Ag nanocomposites against S. aureus and E. coli colonies were also investigated.
KeywordsPolypropylene suture Ag-nanocomposite Mechanical properties Physical properties Antimicrobial activities
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.-C. Chu, “Wound Closure Biomaterials and Devices”, 1st ed., p.416, CRC-Press, United States of America, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.X. Chen, D. Hou, L. Wang, Q. Zhang, J. Zou, and G. Sun, ACS Appl. Mater. Interface, 25, 2 (2015).Google Scholar
- 10.S. J. Strydom, W. E. Rose, D. P. Otto, W. Liebenberg, and M. deVilliers, Nanomed: Nanotechnol., Biol. and Med., 9, 85 (2013).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Zhang, X. Liu, H. Wang, J. Peng, and K. K. Y. Wong, J. Pediatr. Surg., 49, 606 (2014).Google Scholar
- 18.C. C. Wang, C. H. Su, and C. C. Chen, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Part A, 84, 1006 (2008).Google Scholar
- 20.Tensile Testing of Surgical Sutures Using Straight-pull and Knot-pull Tests. Report, Instron®, 2004.Google Scholar
- 22.R. G. Snyder, S. L. Hsu, and S. Krimm, Spectrochimica Acta, 34A, 395 (1977).Google Scholar
- 23.M. Ibrahim, M. Alaam, H. El-Haes, A. F. Jalbout, and A. de Leon, Ecl. Quím, 31, 15 (2006).Google Scholar
- 26.M. Jan, J. Kim, and K. Jin, J. Nano Sci. Nano Technol., 7, 3990 (2007).Google Scholar
- 27.J. Kim, Y. Lee, B. Lim, S. Rhee, and H. Yang, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., 18, 2363 (2007).Google Scholar
- 32.S. De Simone, A. L. Gallo, F. Paladini, A. Sannino, and M. Pollini, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., 25, 2205 (2014).Google Scholar