Dyeing and antibacterial properties of Liriope platyphylla fruit extracts on silk fabrics
- 66 Downloads
Dyeing and antibacterial properties of a natural dye extracted from Liriope platyphylla fruit applied on silk fabrics have been studied. The total phenolic content (1109.13±69.02 mg), total flavonoid content (530.60±89.44 mg), and total anthocyanin content (492.26±77.79 mg) were measured in 100 g fresh weight of L. platyphylla fruits. In addition, ten anthocyanins and four flavanols were identified in L. platyphylla fruits by high performance liquid chromatography with diode array detection coupled with electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (HPLC-DAD/ESI-MS). A broad variation in color shade and color depth can be achieved with mixtures of dye extracts and metal mordants. Purple, blue, and pale green were main color shades of silk fabrics dyed with the extracts. The fastness of dyed silk fabrics except for control dyed fabrics against light, washing, and rubbing were acceptable with at least a grey scale rating of 3. The antibacterial activities of L. platyphylla fruit extracts were retained on dyed silk fabrics even after home washing 30 cycles. Mordanting with metal salt mordant had a positive effect on antibacterial activity of dyed silk fabrics in this study. Among them, aluminum and copper were the most effective mordants for improving antibacterial activity of silk fabrics dyed with L. platyphylla fruit extracts. The costs of natural dyeing of per silk fabrics kg by the extracts from L. platyphylla fruit were also calculated on laboratory scale.
KeywordsLiriope platyphylla Natural dyes Antibacterial Anthocyanin Flavanol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.H. El Gharras, Int. J. Food Sci. Tech., 44, 2512 (2009).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Castañeda-Ovando, M. D. L. Pacheco-Hernández, M. E. Páez-Hernández, J. A. Rodríguez, and C. A. Galán- Vidal, Food Chem., 113, 859 (2009).Google Scholar
- 29.P. Chantaro, S. Devahastin, and N. Chiewchan, LWT - Food Sci. Technol., 41, 1987 (2008).Google Scholar
- 37.E. Alexandra Pazmiño-Durán, M. M. Giusti, R. E. Wrolstad, and M. B. A. Glória, Food Chem., 73, 327 (2001).Google Scholar
- 40.C. Qin, Y. Li, W. Niu, Y. Ding, X. Shang, and C. Xu, Czech J. Food Sci., 29, 171 (2011).Google Scholar