Three-layer composite filter media containing electrospun polyimide nanofibers for the removal of fine particles
- 136 Downloads
Polyimide (P84) nanofibers of 200-500 nm were deposited uniformly on needle punched aramid felt with basis weight of 260-350 g/m2 by optimized electrospinning. High temperature adhesive was then electro-sprayed on the nanofiber side deliberately to bind a thin protective layer made of temperature-resistant non-wovens. The three layer structure was afterwards enforced by hot pressing to form composite filter media. The application of the adhesive was tailored not to affect the permeability of the substrate felt while exerting adhesion strength of over 1000 kPa for the media to be suitable for flue gas dust treatment under 240 ºC. When 0.3-10 μm NaCl aerosols were used as the simulated dusts, it was found that even a small amount of P84 nanofibers could obviously elevate the filtration efficiency. The composite showed 100 % removal efficiency of particles equal and greater than 2.0 μm, and 99.5 % for particles 1.0-2.0 μm in diameter.
KeywordsElectrospinning Polyimide Filtration efficiency Nanofibers Composite media
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.K. Graham, M. Ouyang, T. Raether, T. Grafe, B. Mcdonald, and P. Knauf, Fifteenth Annual Technical Conference & Expo of the American Filtration & Separations Society, Galveston, Texas, April 9-12, 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.T. H. Grafe and K. M. Graham, Nonwovens in Filtration - Fifth International Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, March 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Li, M. W. Frey, and T. B. Green, J. Eng. Fiber. Fabr., 1, 1 (2006).Google Scholar
- 17.J. Matulevicius, L. Kliucininkas, D. Martuzevicius, E. Krugly, M. Tichonovas, and J. Baltrusaitis, J. Nanomater., (2014).Google Scholar
- 21.Y. Li and C. Li, New Chem. Mater., 40, 18 (2012).Google Scholar
- 24.G. M. Gong, J. T. Wu, and L. Jiang, Prog. Chem., 23, 750 (2011).Google Scholar
- 30.J. L. Li, J. Electrostat., 65, 251 (2007).Google Scholar