Development and characterization of alginate-chitosan-hyaluronic acid (ACH) composite fibers for medical applications
Natural materials and plants have a long history of medical applications due to their broad range of favorable biological functions including biocompatibility, anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Main objective of this study was to develop alginate-chitosan-hyaluronic acid (ACH) composite fibers with controlled drug release, and liquid retention properties for better moist wound healing. The dope comprising sodium alginate was extruded into calcium chloride (CaC12) coagulation bath. The developed calcium alginate fibers were then passed through a bath containing hydrolyzed chitosan and dip coated with hyaluronic acid for 24 hours. The resulting ACH composite fibers were then rinsed with deionized water and dried using acetone. These fibers were tested for tensile properties, % swelling, liquid absorption (g/g) and controlled drug release. The results concluded that ACH composite fibers can be produced by wet spinning and have adequate tensile properties, high % swelling, liquid absorption (g/g) and controlled release of hyaluronic acid for improved wound healing.
KeywordsHyaluronic acid Chitosan Alginate Wound care Absorption Controlled release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.C. Jou, L. Yuan, S. Lin, M. Hwang, W. Chou, D. Yu, and M. Yang, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 104, 16 (2006).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Zamani and M. Taherzadeh, Bioresource, 5, 1554 (2010).Google Scholar
- 10.W. Steplewski, D. Wawro, and A. Niekraszewicz, Fibres Text. Easten Eur., 14, 25 (2006).Google Scholar
- 12.A. S. Mehta, B. K. Singh, and P. K. Dutta, Asian Chit. J., 10, 25 (2014).Google Scholar
- 15.Textiles, Fibers, BS EN ISO 5079:1996 (1996).Google Scholar
- 18.F. Nicola, J. Biol. Chem., 220, 303 (1956).Google Scholar
- 20.M. A. Xianpeng, J. Xiujian, and Z. Yunz, CN Patent, 102489193 (2012).Google Scholar
- 21.J. Necas, L. Bartosikova, P. Brauner, and J. Kolar, Vet Med. (Praha), 53, 397 (2008).Google Scholar
- 22.G. L. Xueping, CN Patent, 1748569 (2006).Google Scholar