Numerical Prediction and Analysis of Hydraulic Characteristics of Waterfall Scene for Application to Design Control
- 102 Downloads
The hydraulic characteristics of artificial waterfalls constitute an important research area for both academia and industry. As yet, the hydraulic parameters used in the hydraulic design of landscape waterfalls are not well understood for use in qualitative and quantitative analyses. Due to their complicated shapes and appearances, it remains a challenging problem to design or simulate realistic waterfall scenes. In this paper, we present a hybrid model and an efficient numerical method for simulating the hydraulic characteristics of waterfalls and investigate the critical flow in waterfall design and the adherent flow phenomenon. We fit empirical equations to predict the size and shape of different waterfall flow patterns to provide a basis for the design and construction of waterscapes in the real world. We then apply our work to an artificial waterfall in Kraal Jiang River and the results demonstrate that our model achieves desirable control qualities and good agreement in a real-world application.
KeywordsArtificial waterfall Nappe flow Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) Weir flow Numerical simulation
This study was supported by Tianjin Youth Research Program of Application Foundation and Advanced Technology (No. 15JCQNJC08000), the Foundation for Innovative Research Groups of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51321065), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51509182) and Open Foundation from State Key Laboratory of Hydrology-Water Resources and Hydraulic Engineering, Hohai University (No. 2014491211).
- 3.Mark A, Marek PE (2011) Hydraulic design manual. Texas Department of Transportation, AustinGoogle Scholar
- 5.Wang J, Mao G, Chen S et al (2001) Experimental study on hydraulic design of artificial waterfall. Water Wastewater Eng 27(5):59–61 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 8.Saunders K, Prakash M, Cleary PW et al (2014) Application of smoothed particle hydrodynamics for modelling gated spillway flows. Appl Math Model 38(17–18):4–18Google Scholar
- 13.Hirsch C (2007) Numerical computation of internal and external flows, 2nd edn. Elsevier, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 14.Lahey RT (2013) Boiling heat transfer: modern developments and advances. Elsevier, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 15.Landau LD, Lifshitz EM (2013) Course of theoretical physics. Elsevier, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 16.Deltares (2007) Delft3D-Flow-simulation of multi-dimensional hydrodynamic flows and transport phenomena, including sediments-user manual. DelftGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zhang S, Pang B (2014) Numerical simulation of waterfalls based on computational fluid dynamics. Water Wastewater Eng 40(12):121–123 (in Chinese) Google Scholar