Influence of cutting temperature on carbon fiber-reinforced plastic composites in high-speed machining
- 261 Downloads
Carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) composites have been widely used in many industries, including aerospace, automobiles, medical devices, and building materials, because of their good material properties, such as weight, rigidity, strength, and wear resistance. We experimentally evaluated the high-speed machining characteristics of CFRP composites. First, dry-cutting experiments were performed to test prepared CFRP specimens. Above a certain cutting speed, the epoxy matrix melted owing to the heat caused by the friction between the tool and specimen. Next, high-speed cutting experiments were performed at a low temperature (approximately -20 °C). Many sensors were used to investigate the characteristics of the high-speed cutting process, and the results were analyzed.
KeywordsCFRP (Carbon fiber-reinforced plastic) Composites Cutting Temperature Epoxy Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. D. Babu, K. S. Babu and B. U. M. Gowd, Effect of machining parameters on milled natural fiber-reinforced plastic composites (2013) 1–12, Doi: 10.7726/jame.2013.1001.Google Scholar
- D. Che, Machining of carbon fiber reinforced plastics /polymers: A literature review, J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., 136 (2016) 1–22, Doi: 10.1115/1.4026526.Google Scholar
- Z. Jia et al., The interaction between the cutting force and induced sub-surface damage in machining of carbon fiberreinforced plastics, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites (2016) Doi: 10.1177/0731684415626284.Google Scholar
- Z. Jia et al., Temperature effects in end milling carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites, Polymer Composites (2016) 9–11, Doi: 10.1002/pc.Google Scholar
- B. Shin, K. Kim, S. Ha and M. Cho, A study on the machinability of carbon fiber reinforced plastics on tool shape, J. Korean Soc. Manuf. Technol. Eng., 20 (2011) 799–804.Google Scholar
- H.-T. Jeong et al., A study on rapid mold heating system using high-frequency induction heating, Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. (2007).Google Scholar
- A. S. Hakimi Emad, Study of delamination in the process helical milling of carbon fiber-reinforced polymer composite, J. Sci. Technol. Compos., 2 (2016) 51–58.Google Scholar