Stress analysis of compound cylinders subjected to thermo-mechanical loads
- 139 Downloads
Axisymmetric pressure vessels have wide application in industrial engineering. They are often subjected to combined mechanical and thermal loads. In order to improve their pressure-carrying capacity, especially those with a cylindrical shape, some basic techniques are used such as increasing wall thickness, autofrettage and compound cylinders. This paper presents a basic model that can be used to study the effects of temperature and internal pressure on the stress distributions and displacement fields in compound cylinders. The analytical model is based on the thick walled cylinders theory. The results of the developed analytical approach are compared and validated to a finite element axisymmetric model.
KeywordsAnalytical and finite elements analysis Compound cylinders Stress analysis Thermomecanical behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. R. D. Wilson and W. J. Skelton, Design of bi-metallic high pressure cylinders, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., 182 (3) (1967) 1–10.Google Scholar
- K. Vedeld, H. Osnes and O. Fyrileiv, Analytical expressions for stress distributions in lined pipes: Axial stress and contact pressure interaction, Mar. Struct., 26 (1) 1-26.Google Scholar
- J. Kloewer, R. Behrens and J. Lettner, Clad plates and pipes in oil and gas production: Applications-fabrication-welding, Proceedings of Corrosion, April 2002, Denver, CO, USA (2002).Google Scholar
- G. Lamé and B. Clapeyron, Mémoire sur l’équilibre intérieur des corps solides homogènes, J. Reine Angew. Math. (Crelle’s J.), 7, 145-169.Google Scholar
- G. H. Majzoobi and A. Ghomi, Optimisation of compound pressure cylinders, Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, 15 (1-2) (2006).Google Scholar
- Q. Zhang, Z. W. Wang, C. Y. Tang, D. P. Hu, P. Q. Liu and L. Z. Xia, Analytical solution of the thermo-mechanical stresses in a multilayered composite pressure vessel considering the influence of the closed ends, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 98 (2012) 102–110.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ansys. Standard Manuel. Version 15.Google Scholar