Design optimization of a drifter using the Taguchi method for efficient percussion drilling
- 76 Downloads
We examine the performance optimization of a drifter used for top-hammer drilling. The performance of the drifter is determined mainly by its percussion power, which is the product of the impact rate and impact energy. We selected design parameters influencing percussion performance with the goal of optimizing the percussion power output, and verified the validity of the drifter analysis model through a comparison with laboratory test results. The design parameters that influence the drifter’s percussion performance have been selected efficiently through screening design method, and these parameters were analyzed using the Taguchi method. As a result, the robust design values against noise factor have been proposed applying the Taguchi method to selected design parameters.
KeywordsTop hammer drilling Drilling Hydraulic drifter Percussion performance Optimization Taguchi method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- The Freedonia Group Inc., World Mining Equipment (2009).Google Scholar
- W. A. Hustrulid and C. Fairhurst, A theoretical and experimental study of the percussive drilling of rock, Part I-Theory of percussive drilling, Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 8 (1971) 701–711.Google Scholar
- B. Changgen, Q. Yegao, C. Zhiqiang and L. Baolin, Numerical simulation of impact on pneumatic DTH hammer percussive drilling, J. Earth Sci., 36 (5) (2009) 868–878.Google Scholar
- C. H. Song, K. B. Kwon, M. G. Cho, J. Y. Oh, D. Y. Shin and J. W. Cho, Development of lab-scale rock drill apparatus for testing performance of a drill bit, Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., 16 (7) (2015) 405–1414.Google Scholar
- J. Y. Oh, J. Y. Park, J. W. Cho, H. S. Kang and G. H. Lee, Influence of design parameter on the percussion performance of a hydraulic percussion drifter, Proc. of the KSPE Autumn Conference, Korea (2013) 981–982.Google Scholar
- J. S. Kwak and M. K. Ha, Optimization of grinding conditions and prediction of surface roughness using Taguchi experimental design, J. Kor. Soc. Prec. Eng., 21 (7) (2004) 37–45.Google Scholar
- Minitab Inc., Minitab Statguide (2005).Google Scholar