Passive control of pitch-break of a BWB UCAV model using vortex generator
- 220 Downloads
To examine the effect of vortex generator on pitch-break control for a BWB model having lambda wing configuration, wind tunnel experiments were conducted. Tests were carried out at two freestream velocities of 30 m/s and 60 m/s. Experimental results of the BWB model, which was modified slightly from UCAV 1303, at various angles of attack are presented. Aerodynamic force and moment coefficients and chordwise pressure distributions at several spanwise stations are included. Spanwise location of a vortex generator was selected based on pressure distributions of the BWB model at several angles of attack and through a preliminary test. Well known pitch-break or pitch-up phenomenon was identified to occur at a specific angle of attack for the case without vortex generator. When the vortex generator was installed, this pitch-break was found to be delayed to a much larger angle of attack, which might well be adopted for efficient flight control.
KeywordsFlow separation Flow control Wind tunnel UCAV Vortex generator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. D. Loeser, D. D. Vicroy and A. Schütte, SACCON static wind tunnel tests at DNW-NWB and 14′×22′ NASA LaRC, AIAA, 2010–4393, Jul. (2010).Google Scholar
- S. C. McParlin, R. J. Bruce, A. G. Hepworth and A. J. Rae, Low speed wind tunnel tests on the 1303 UCAV concept, AIAA, 2006-2985, Jun. (2006).Google Scholar
- K. Petterson, Low speed aerodynamic and flowfield characteristics of a UCAV, AIAA, 2006-2986, Jun. (2006).Google Scholar
- J. J. Chung and T. Ghee, Numerical investigation of UCAV 1303 configuration with and without simple deployable vortex flaps, AIAA, 2006-2989, Jun. (2006).Google Scholar
- M. E. Milne and M. T. Arthur, Evaluation of bespoke and commercial CFD methods for a UCAV configuration, AIAA, 2006-2988, Jun. (2006).Google Scholar
- P. D. Sosebee, Flow visualization and detailed load measurements over a maneuvering UCAV 1303, Master’s Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA (2011).Google Scholar
- K. P. Werrell, Sabres over Mig alley: the F-86 and the battle for air superiority in Korea, Naval Institute Press, Annapolis (2005).Google Scholar
- J. Chung, B. Sung and T. Cho, Wind tunnel test of MRP model using external balance, KSAS International Journal, 1 (2) (2000) 68–74.Google Scholar
- T. Cho, J. Chung, S. Yoon, Y. Kim and B. Sung, Upgrading and re-calibration of the KARI LSWT external balance, 2005 KSAS Conference (2005).Google Scholar
- AIAA R-091-2003, Calibration and Use of Internal Strain-Gage Balance with Application to Wind Tunnel Testing (2003).Google Scholar
- M. S. Selig, R. W. Deters and G. A. Williamson, Wind tunnel testing airfoils at low Reynolds numbers, AIAA, 2011-875, Jan. (2011).Google Scholar