Study on the Seismic Performance of Bent Columns in Vertical Bent Frame Structures
- 10 Downloads
A novel reinforced concrete (RC) vertical bent frame structure system consisting of a RC frame structure and RC bent structure has been proposed for the development of large-scale thermal power plants. To better understand the seismic performance of RC bent columns in vertical bent frame structures, a 1/5-scale representative component selected from a common vertical bent frame structure was tested by quasi-static testing (QST). The failure mode hysteretic characteristics, ductility, energy dissipation capacities of RC bent columns were investigated. Based on the experimental results, finite element models for the bent frame columns and vertical bent frame structures were developed and the nonlinear dynamic analyses were carried out. The results of finite element analysis indicate that the axial pressure ratio has significant effects on the seismic behaviour of RC bent columns. The relationship of drift angle for bent frame column under frequent earthquake and infrequent earthquake are investigated. The limitation values of axial compression ratios and the inter-storey drift angle for RC bent columns in vertical bent frame structures are suggested.
Keywordsvertical bent frame structure system inter-storey drift angle numerical simulation seismic performance bent column
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Nature Science Foundation of China [grant number 51478023], and the financial support is greatly appreciated.
- ABAQUS (2010). ABAQUS analysis user’s manual, Version 6.10, ABAQUS Inc., Palo Alto, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Akkar, S., Yazgan, U., and Gülkan, P. (2005). “Drift estimates in frame buildings subjected to nearfault ground motions.” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 7, pp. 1014–1024, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:7(1014).Google Scholar
- Bayrak, O. and Sheikh, S. A. (1998). “Confinement reinforcement design considerations for ductile HSC columns.” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 124, No. 9, pp. 999–1010, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:9(999).Google Scholar
- Ding, J. G., Dai, Y. W., and Qiao, Z. (2013). “Analysis of elastic-plastic responses of a new single-story frame-bent structure during an earthquake based on the transfer matrix method of multibody system.” Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 2013, No. 10, pp. 452–462, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/784525.Google Scholar
- GB50010-2010 (2010). Code for design of concrete structures, China National Standards GB50010-2010, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People’s Republic of China, Beijing, China.Google Scholar
- GB50011-2010 (2010). Code for seismic design of buildings, China National Standards GB50011-2010, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the People’s Republic of China, Beijing, China.Google Scholar
- JGJ101-1996 (1996). Specification of testing methods for earthquake resistant building, China National Standards JGJ101-1996, Ministry of Housing and Urban Rural Development of People’s Republic of China, Beijing, China.Google Scholar
- Leite, L., Bonet, J. L., Pallarés, L., Miguel, P. F., and Fernandez-Prada, M. A. (2013). “Experimental research on high strength concrete slender columns subjected to compression and uniaxial bending with unequal eccentricities at the ends.” Engineering Structures, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 220–232, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.07.039.Google Scholar
- Li, B. and Leong, C. L. (2015). “Experimental and numerical investigations of the seismic behavior of high-strength concrete beam-column joints with column axial load.” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 9, pp. 04014220, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001191.Google Scholar
- Mckenna, F. T. (1997). Object oriented finite element programming: Frameworks for analysis, algorithms and parallel computing, PhD Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Pallarés, L., Bonet, J. L., Miguel, P. F., and Fernández Prada, M. A. (2008). “Experimental research on high strength concrete slender columns subjected to compression and biaxial bending forces.” Engineering Structures, Vol. 30, No. 7, pp. 1879–1894, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.12.005.Google Scholar
- Qu, Z. and Ye, L. P. (2011). “Strength deterioration model based on effective hysteretic energy dissipation for RC members under cyclic loading.” Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 45–51 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Tong, Y. S., Che, J. L., and Tong, S. J. (2013). “Analysis and calculation of second-order effect for RC columns of single-story bent.” China Civil Engineering Journal, Vol. 46, No. 12, pp. 9–17 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wu, T., Bai, G. L., and Liu, B. Q. (2007). “Experimental study on seismic behavior of RC frame-bent structure of a large-scale power plant.” Journal of Building Structures, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 46–52 (in Chinese).Google Scholar