Viscoelastic Fatigue Damage Properties of Asphalt Mixture with Different Aging Degrees
In order to reveal the effects of aging on fatigue damage evolution pattern of asphalt mixture, and to reveal the fatigue damage patterns of asphalt pavement during its service life more accurately, the viscoelastic fatigue damage model for the aged asphalt mixtures was proposed based on the Burgers viscoelastic model. The dissipation energy was taken as the damage variable, and the direct tension fatigue tests for asphalt mixture in five different aging degrees were conducted. The viscoelastic parameters of the aged asphalt mixtures were obtained.The calculationmethod of the cumulative fatigue damage was proposed, which considers the aging effects. Moreover, the critical fatigue damage degree and fatigue life calculation equations were derived by employing the fatigue damage model, which were calculated and compared. The calculation errors range from 3% to 18%, which was within an acceptable error range of 30%. The research results show that the aging has a prominent impact on fatigue properties of asphalt mixtures, which could be illustrated by the change of the parameters of the viscoelastic fatigue damage model for the aged asphalt mixtures. The prediction precision of fatigue life is acceptable for using the proposed viscoelastic fatigue damage model.
Keywordsasphalt pavement fatigue damage damage variable damage evolution equation viscoelasticity creep compliance cumulative dissipated energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ameri, M., Nowbakht, S., Molayem, M., and Mirabimoghaddam, M. H. (2016). “A study on fatigue modeling of hot mix asphalt mixtures based on the viscoelastic continuum damage properties of asphalt binder.” Construction & Building Materials, vol. 106, pp. 243–252, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.12.066.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dai, Q. L., Sadd, M. H., and You, Z. P. (2010). “A micromechanical finite element model for linear and damage-coupled viscoelastic behaviour of asphalt mixture.” International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1135–1158, DOI: 10.1002/nag.520.CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Gao, D. Y. and Huang, C. S. (2014). “Viscoelastic mechanical model with five units and eight parameters for fiber reinforced asphalt concrete.” China Journal of Highway and Transport, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 1–8+34, DOI: http://zgglxb.chd.edu.cn/EN/Y2014/V27/I2/1.Google Scholar
- Guan, H. X., Zheng, J. L., and Zhang, Q. S. (2007). “Viscoelastic fatigue damage model of bituminous mixture.” Mechanics in Engineering, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 50–53, DOI: http://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbcode=CJFQ&dbname=CJFD2007&filename=LXYS 200702013&uid=WEEvREcwSlJHSldRa1FhdkJkcGp4QmE1UGd ndE51cE80bkF0V3c3OE1mRT0=$9A4hF_YAuvQ5obgVAqNKP CYcEjKensW4ggI8Fm4gTkoUKaID8j8gFw!!&v=MDgzODdlWit WdkZDam5WTHpKS1RYU2ZiRzRIdGJNclk5RVo0UjhlWDFMd XhZUzdEaDFUM3FUcldNMUZyQ1VSTDI=Google Scholar
- Norouzi, A., Kim, Y. R., Kim, S. S., and Yang, J. (2017). “Effect of reclaimed asphalt pavement content and binder grade on fatigue-resisting performance of asphalt mixtures in Georgia.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 04017115, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001960.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pouget, S., Sauzéat, C., Benedetto, H. D., and Olard, F. (2012). “Viscous energy dissipation inasphalt pavement structures and implication for vehicle fuel consumption.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 5 pp. 568–576, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE) MT.1943-5533.0000414.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yan, K. Z. and You, L. Y. (2014). “Investigation of complex modulus of asphalt mastic by artificial neural networks.” Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences, Vol. 21, No. 4. pp. 445–450, DOI: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/29420.Google Scholar
- Yang, X., You, Z. P., Hiller, J., and Watkins, D. (2017). “Correlation analysis between temperature indices and flexible pavement distress predictions using mechanistic-empirical design.” Journal of Cold Regions Engineering, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 04017009, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CR.1943-5495.0000135.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou, Z. G., Zhang, Q. P., and Yuan, X. X. (2011). “Fatigue damage analysis of asphalt mixture specimen during cyclic bending test.” Journal of Central South University, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1743–1751, DOI: http://www.zndxzk.com.cn/menu/menu_27644.html.Google Scholar