Assessing the effects of climate change on monthly precipitation: Proposing of a downscaling strategy through a case study in Turkey
- 161 Downloads
The forecasting of future precipitation can be considered by using the outputs of the General Circulation Models (GCMs). In the study, a downscaling strategy was improved to forecast monthly precipitation over Tahtali watershed in Turkey for climate change scenarios using neural networks. First, predictor variables, which represent the monthly areal precipitation of watershed, were selected from the NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data set with the help of correlation and mutual information analyses. The study of the predictor selection showed that large scale precipitation at surface, air temperature at 850 hPa, and geopotential height at 200 hPa are the explanatory variables for downscaling. When the statistical performance measures were investigated, developed downscaling model trained with selected predictors was found satisfactory and was applied to simulate the future projections of selected two GCMs; namely, ECHAM5 and HADCM3. Finally, the simulation results were examined to assess the possibility of climate change effect on precipitation in the study area.
Keywordsprecipitation climate change downscaling GCMs NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abrahart, R. J., Kneale, P. E., and See, L. M. (2004). Neural networks for hydrological modelling, Taylor & Francis.Google Scholar
- Demuth, H. and Beale, M. (1998). Neural network toolbox: For use with MATLAB user’s guide, The Math Works Inc., Natick, MA.Google Scholar
- IPCC (2007). Climate change: The physical science basis, Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Kalnay, E., Kanamitsu, M., Kistler, R., Collins, W., Deaven, D., Gandin, L., Iredell, M., Saha, S., White, G., Woollen, J., Zhu, Y., Chelliah, M., Ebisuzaki, W., Higgins, W., Janowiak, J., Mo, K.C., Ropelewski, C., Wang, J., Leetmaa, A., Reynolds, R., Jenne, R., and Joseph, D. (1996). “The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project.” Bull. Ame. Meteo. Soc., Vol. 77, No. 3, pp. 437–471.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wilby, R. L., Charles, S. P., Zorita, E., Timbal, B., Whetton, P., and Mearns, L. O (2004). Guidelines for use of climate scenarios developed from statistical downscaling methods, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, DDC of IPCC TGCIA.Google Scholar
- Wilby, R. L., Dawson, C. W., and Barrow, E. M. (2002). “SDSM — A decision support tool for the assessment of climate change impacts.” Environ. Mod. Soft., Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 147–159.Google Scholar