Measuring the structural vulnerability of road network: A network efficiency perspective
- 240 Downloads
The purpose of this paper is to identify the critical road sections and intersections in a road network which have great influence on the normal transport functions of the road network and to optimize the road network structure by reducing its vulnerability. In this paper, the framework of road network structural vulnerability measurement and improvement model is proposed. The network efficiency model is used to define road network structural vulnerability. Shanghai freeway network is analyzed based on this model. We find that using this model the critical components of the road network can be identified. Two methods which are increasing connections and rewiring are proposed to optimize the road network structural vulnerability and the results can be used to reduce the network vulnerability. The measurement method that we put forward for structure vulnerability is useful and important to optimize road network structure.
Key wordsroad network structure vulnerability network efficiency network optimization
CLC numberU 491.1
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Finn G. Reducing the vulnerability of dynamic computer networks [R]. Los Angeles, CA: ISI, University of Southern California, 1988.Google Scholar
- Srinivasan K. Transportation network vulnerability assessment: A quantitative framework [Z]. Knoxville: Southeastern Transportation Center, University of Tennessee, 2002.Google Scholar
- Jenelius E, Petersen T, Mattsson L. Importance and exposure in road network vulnerability analysis [J]. Transportation Research. Part A, 2006, 40(7): 537–560.Google Scholar
- Quium A S M A, Hoque S A M A. The completeness and vulnerability of road network in Bangladesh [C]//Engineering Concerns of Flood. Dhaka, Bangladesh: Directorate of Advisory, Extension and Research Services, 2002: 59–75.Google Scholar
- Husdal J. Reliability and vulnerability versus cost and benefits[C]//Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Transportation Network Reliability (INSTR). Christchurch, New Zealand:[s.n.], 2004: 180–186.Google Scholar
- Watts D J, Strogatz S H. Collective dynamics of “small-world” networks [J]. Nature, 1998, 4: 393, 440–442.Google Scholar