Low dispersion broadband integrated double-slot microring resonators optical buffer
- 26 Downloads
Microring resonator optical buffer is attractive in high-speed optical network system, but ordinary microring resonator use strip waveguide as its basic light guide medium, which cannot provide small footprint, low dispersion and high delay-bandwidth product (DBP) simultaneously. Double-slot waveguide structure was first proposed to construct racetrack-microring resonators. It was found that cascading multiple microrings can increase the delay-bandwidth and lower the dispersion of the resonators by optimizing the structure parameters. Optical buffer cascaded by 8 microrings with flat bandwidth of 20 GHz provided the delay of 150 ps and the dispersion of ~10–7 ps/nm over 1530–1630 nm, and the footprint of each microring was about 51μm2. This study can provide design methods and theoretical basis support for practical application.
Keywordsoptical buffer microring resonator delay slot waveguide dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Sheng X, Dong X, Zhang X, Peng C. Advances in the research on all-optical buffers. Study on Optical Communications, 2012, (6): 52–55Google Scholar
- 3.Dutta M K, Chaubey V K. Modeling and performance analysis of optical packet switching network using fiber delay lines. In: Proceedings of India Conference. 2011, 1–4Google Scholar
- 14.Bao C, Yan Y, Zhang L, Yue Y, Willner A E. Tailoring of low chromatic dispersion over a broadband in silicon waveguides using a double-slot design. In: Proceedings of Conference on Laser and Electro-Optics. 2013, JTu4A.53-1–JTu4A.53-2Google Scholar
- 15.Yan Y, Matsko A, Bao C, Maleki L, Willner A E. Increasing the spectral bandwidth of optical frequency comb generation in a microring resonator using dispersion tailoring slotted waveguide. In: Proceedings of IEEE Photonics Conference. 2013, 230–231Google Scholar
- 21.Selvaraja S K, De Vos K, Bogaerts W, Bienstman P, Van Thourhout D, Baets R. Effect of device density on the uniformity of silicon nano-photonic waveguide devices. In: Proceedings of IEEE LEOS Annual Meeting Conference. 2009, 311–312Google Scholar
- 34.Lou F. Theoretical study on microring resonators based all optical buffers. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. Wuhan: Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2011, 21–27Google Scholar