Sharpening an Ore-type version of the Corrádi–Hajnal theorem
- 189 Downloads
Corrádi and Hajnal (Acta Math Acad Sci Hung 14:423–439, 1963) proved that for all \(k\ge 1\) and \(n\ge 3k\), every (simple) graph G on n vertices with minimum degree \(\delta (G)\ge 2k\) contains k disjoint cycles. The degree bound is sharp. Enomoto and Wang proved the following Ore-type refinement of the Corrádi–Hajnal theorem: For all \(k\ge 1\) and \(n\ge 3k\), every graph G on n vertices contains k disjoint cycles, provided that \(d(x)+d(y)\ge 4k-1\) for all distinct nonadjacent vertices x, y. Very recently, it was refined for \(k\ge 3\) and \(n\ge 3k+1\): If G is a graph on n vertices such that \(d(x)+d(y)\ge 4k-3\) for all distinct nonadjacent vertices x, y, then G has k vertex-disjoint cycles if and only if the independence number \(\alpha (G)\le n-2k\) and G is not one of two small exceptions in the case \(k=3\). But the most difficult case, \(n=3k\), was not handled. In this case, there are more exceptional graphs, the statement is more sophisticated, and some of the proofs do not work. In this paper we resolve this difficult case and obtain the full picture of extremal graphs for the Ore-type version of the Corrádi–Hajnal theorem. Since any k disjoint cycles in a 3k-vertex graph G must be 3-cycles, the existence of such k cycles is equivalent to the existence of an equitable k-coloring of the complement of G. Our proof uses the language of equitable colorings, and our result can be also considered as an Ore-type version of a partial case of the Chen–Lih–Wu Conjecture on equitable colorings.
KeywordsDisjoint cycles Equitable coloring Minimum degree
Mathematics Subject Classification05C15 05C35 05C40
We thank a referee for helpful comments.
- 7.Hajnal, A., Szemerédi, E.: Proof of a conjecture of P. Erdős. Combinatorial Theory and its Application, pp. 601–623. North-Holland, London (1970)Google Scholar
- 11.Kierstead, H.A., Kostochka, A.V.: A refinement of a result of Corrádi and Hajnal. Combinatorica 35, 497–512 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Kierstead, H.A., Kostochka, A.V., Yeager, E.C.: On the Corrádi–Hajnal Theorem and a question of Dirac J. Comb. Theory 122, 121–148 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Kierstead, H.A., Kostochka, A.V., Yeager, E.C.: The \((2k-1)\)-connected multigraphs with at most k-1 disjoint cycles. Combinatorica (2015). doi: 10.1007/s00493-015-3291-8
- 14.Kierstead, H., Rabern, L.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 17.Postle, L.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 20.Smith, B.F., Bjorstad, P.E., Gropp, W.D.: Domain Decomposition. Parallel Multilevel Methods for Elliptic Partial Differential Equations. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1996)Google Scholar