Determination of Pydiflumetofen Residues in Some Foods of Plant and Animal Origin by QuEChERS Extraction Combined with Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatography–Tandem Mass
A rapid and effective analytical method for determination of pydiflumetofen residues in some foods of plant and animal origin (grapes, tomatoes, wheat, pork, milk, and eggs) was developed using a modified QuEChERS (quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe) sample preparation procedure followed by ultra-performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (UPLC–MS/MS). Acetonitrile was served as the extraction solvent, and an octadecylsilane-dispersive solid-phase extraction (C18-dSPE) was used to cleanup the analyte, and then detected by UPLC–MS/MS. Pydiflumetofen was eluted within 3.0 min from the HSS T3 chromatography column connected to an electrospray ionization source in positive mode. The linearity of the method was excellent (R2 ≥ 0.992) in the pydiflumetofen concentration range of 10–1000 μg kg−1. The recoveries of spiked pydiflumetofen (10, 100, and 1000 μg kg−1) from the matrices were satisfactory, being between 72.0 and 110.3%, and all with relative standard deviation values of < 15.1%. The limit of quantification for pydiflumetofen was 10 μg kg−1. This study provides a method for the routine monitoring of pydiflumetofen.
KeywordsPydiflumetofen Residue Plant origin Animal origin QuEChERS UPLC–MS/MS
This study was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC, 31501678, 31672057)
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This is an original research article that has neither been published previously nor considered presently for publication elsewhere.
All authors named in the manuscript are entitled to the authorship and have approved the final version of the submitted manuscript. This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects.
Conflict of Interest
Lili Rong declares that she has no conflict of interest. Xiaohu Wu declares that he has no conflict of interest. Jun Xu declares that he has no conflict of interest. Fengshou Dong declares that he has no conflict of interest. Xingang Liu declares that he has no conflict of interest. Yongquan Zheng declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- Anastassiades M, Lehotay SJ, Stajnbaher D, Schenck FJ (2003) Fast and easy multiresidue method employing acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and “dispersive solid-phase extraction” for the determination of pesticide residues in produce. J Aoac Int 86:412Google Scholar
- Castillo M, Carbonell E, González C, Miralles-Marco A (2012) Pesticide residue analysis in animal origin food: procedure proposal and evaluation for lipophilic pesticides. In: Pesticides-Recent Trends in Pesticide Residue Assay. InTech,Google Scholar
- Cheng Y, Dong F, Liu X, Xu J, Meng W, Liu N, Chen Z, Tao Y, Zheng Y (2014) Simultaneous determination of fipronil and its major metabolites in corn and soil by ultra-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Methods 6(6):1788–1795. https://doi.org/10.1039/C3AY41742E CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- DG SANCO European Commission’ Directorate General for Health and Consumers. (2011)Method validation and quality control procedures for pesticide residues analysis in food and feed, European Commission, Brussels - Belgium,Google Scholar
- Hou Y-P, Mao X-W, Wang J-X, Zhan S-W, Zhou M-G (2017) Sensitivity of Fusarium asiaticum to a novel succinate dehydrogenase inhibitor fungicide pydiflumetofen. Crop Prot 96:237–244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2017.02.011Google Scholar
- Hu M, Liu X, Dong F, Xu J, Li S, Xu H, Zheng Y (2015) Determination of ametoctradin residue in fruits and vegetables by modified quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe method using ultra-performance liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Food Chem 175:395–400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.11.158 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ju C, Dong F, Liu X, Wu X, Zhao H, Zheng Y, Xu J (2015) Rapid residue analysis of oxathiapiprolin and its metabolites in typical Chinese soil, water, and sediments by a modified quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe method with ultra high performance liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry. J Sep Sci 38(6):909–916. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201401126 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kebarle P, Tang L (1993) From ions in solution to ions in the gas phase-the mechanism of electrospray mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 65:972A–986AGoogle Scholar
- Li M, Liu X, Dong F, Xu J, Kong Z, Li Y, Zheng Y (2013) Simultaneous determination of cyflumetofen and its main metabolite residues in samples of plant and animal origin using multi-walled carbon nanotubes in dispersive solid-phase extraction and ultrahigh performance liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1300:95–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2013.05.052 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MacLachlan DJ, Bhula R (2008) Estimating the residue transfer of pesticides in animal feedstuffs to livestock tissues, milk and eggs: a review. Aust J Exp Agric 48(5):589–598. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA07196Google Scholar
- Niell S, Jesús F, Pérez C, Mendoza Y, Díaz R, Franco J, Cesio V, Heinzen H (2015) QuEChERS adaptability for the analysis of pesticide residues in beehive products seeking the development of an agroecosystem sustainability monitor. J Agric Food Chem 63(18):4484–4492. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b00795 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tian C, Xu J, Dong F, Liu X, Wu X, Zhao H, Ju C, Wei D, Zheng Y (2016) Determination of Sulfoxaflor in animal origin foods using dispersive solid-phase extraction and multiplug filtration cleanup method based on multiwalled carbon nanotubes by Ultraperformance liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. J Agric Food Chem 64(12):2641–2646. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b00285 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu X, Xu J, Dong F, Liu X, Li Y, Zheng Y (2014) Simultaneous determination of oxathiapiprolin and two metabolites in fruits, vegetables and cereal using a modified quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe method and liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1329:30–37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2013.12.087 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao P, Wang L, Zhou L, Zhang F, Kang S, Pan C (2012) Multi-walled carbon nanotubes as alternative reversed-dispersive solid phase extraction materials in pesticide multi-residue analysis with QuEChERS method. J Chromatogr A 1225:17–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2011.12.070 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao H, Xu J, Dong F, Liu X, Wu Y, Wu X, Zheng Y (2015) Simultaneous determination of three herbicides in wheat, wheat straw, and soil using a quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe method with ultra high performance liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry. J Sep Sci 38(7):1164–1171. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201401234 CrossRefGoogle Scholar