A New Electrochemical Sensing Platform Based on Binary Composite of Graphene Oxide-Chitosan for Sensitive Rutin Determination
- 237 Downloads
A new, simple, and low-cost voltammetric sensor was designed by covering a layer of graphene oxide/chitosan (GO–Cs) nanocomposite on a glassy carbon electrode (GCE). The synthesized GO nanosheets and GO–Cs nanocomposite were characterized by different techniques such as Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT–IR), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The electrochemical behavior of rutin at the modified electrode was investigated, and the results demonstrated that the GO–Cs nanocomposite film could remarkably increase the redox peak current of rutin. The effects of supporting electrolyte, pH, accumulation parameters, and interference on the response of rutin were studied. Using differential pulse voltammetry (DPV) under optimized conditions, the analytical curve was linear in rutin concentration range from 0.9 to 90 μmol/L with a detection limit of 0.56 μmol/L. The GO–Cs/GCE exhibited good selectivity and sensitivity for the determination of rutin content in real samples with satisfactory results.
KeywordsRutin Graphene oxide Chitosan Nanocomposite Film-modified electrode Voltammetry
The authors are thankful to the post-graduate office of Guilan University for the support of this work.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This study was funded by Guilan University.
Conflict of interest
M. Arvand declares that he/she has no conflict of interest. A. Shabani declares that he/she has no conflict of interest. M. Sayyar Ardaki declares that he/she has no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
- Anttonen MJ, Hoppula KI, Nestby R, Verheul MJ, Karjalainen RO (2006) Influence of fertilization, mulch color, early forcing, fruit order, planting date, shading, growing environment, and genotype on the contents of selected phenolics in strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.) fruits. J Agric Food Chem 54:2614–2620CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bard AJ, Faulkner LR (2004) Electrochemical methods: fundamentals and applications, 2nd edn. John Wiley& Sons, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- Brolis M, Gabetta B, Fuzzati N (1998) Identification by high-performance liquid chromatography–diode arraydetection–mass spectrometry and quantification by high-performance liquid chromatography–UV absorbance detection of active constituents of Hypericum perforatum. J Chromatogr A 825:9–16CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Celiešiūtė R, Grincienė G, Vaitekonis Š, Venckus T, Rakickas T, Pauliukaitė R (2013) Application of carbon electrodes modified with graphene and chitosan to electrochemical sensing of ascorbate. Chemija 24:296–306Google Scholar
- Leng HQ, Guo YD, Liu W, Zhang T, Deng L, Shen ZQ (2013) Determination of chlorogenic acid, rutin, scopoletin and total polyphenol in tobacco by Fourier transform near infrared spectroscopy. Spectrosc Spect Anal 33:1801–1804Google Scholar
- Nijveldt RJ, Van Nood E, Van Hoorn DE, Boelens PG, Van Norren K, Van Leeuwen PA (2001) Flavonoids: a review of probable mechanisms of action and potential applications. Am J Clin Nutr 74:418–425Google Scholar
- Notley SM, Crawford RJ, Ivanova EP (2013) Bacterial interaction with graphene particles and surfaces, advances in graphene science. M. Aliofkhazraei (Ed.), InTechGoogle Scholar
- Pınar PT, Yardım Y, Şentürk Z (2013) Voltammetric behavior of rutin at a boron-doped diamond electrode. Its electroanalytical determination in a pharmaceutical formulation. Cent Eur J Chem 11:1674–1681Google Scholar
- Potapovich AI, Kostyuk VA (2003) Comparative study of antioxidant properties and cytoprotective activity of flavonoids. Biochemistry 68:514–519Google Scholar
- Yang J, Zheng J, Hu R, Chen F, Fan P, Zhong M (2014) Effect of surface modification of graphite oxide on the morphological, thermal, and mechanical properties of polyurea/graphite oxide composites. J Appl Polym Sci 131:39775–39783Google Scholar
- Yin H, Zhou Y, Cui L, Liu T, Ju P, Zhu L, Ai S (2011) Sensitive voltammetric determination of rutin in pharmaceuticals, human serum, and traditional Chinese medicines using a glassy carbon electrode coated with graphene nanosheets, chitosan, and a poly (amido amine) dendrimer. Microchim Acta 173:337–345CrossRefGoogle Scholar