The Threats of Privatization to Security in Long-Term Residential Care
- 529 Downloads
This paper argues that privatization, especially in the form of for-profit, chain ownership, undermines security in old age. Using data from research in Canada and focusing on the specific case of long-term residential care, this paper examines four aspects of security; security of physical access, security of financial access, security of quality and security of employment for those providing care.
KeywordsLong-term residential care Security Quality Finances
This paper is a product of a seven-year team project on ‘Re-imagining Long-term Residential Care: An International Study of Promising Practices’ funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (File# 412-2010-1004: Pat Armstrong, Principal Investigator), with additional funding from the European Research Area in Ageing 2 project for a study on ‘Healthy Ageing In Residential Places’.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
As there is no person or personal data appearing in the paper, there is no one from whom a permission should be obtained in order to publish personal data.
Ethical Treatment of Experimental Subjects (Animal and Human)
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
- Alberta, Health Quality Council of Alberta (2011). Highlights of the 2010/2011 long-term care family experience survey. http://www.hqca.ca/.
- Aminzadeh, F., Datzeil W. B., Molnar, G. J., & Alie, J. (2004). An examination of the health profile, service use and care needs of older adults in residential care facilities. Canadian Journal on Aging, 23(3), 281–294.Google Scholar
- Armstrong, P., Boscoe, M., Clow, B., Grant, K., et al. (2009). A place to call home: Long term care in Canada. Halifax: Fernwood Books.Google Scholar
- Atchison, C. (2009). Chartwell’s silver-haired lining Globe & Mail (October 18, 2009): B13.Google Scholar
- BCGEU (British Columbia Government Employees Union) (2012). BCGEU calls on Minister of Health and Interior Health Authority to investigate public funding and contract flipping at privately owned Spring Valley. (July 12, 2012). http://www.bcgeu.ca/BCGEU_calls_on_Minister_of_Health_and_Interior_Health_Authority_to_investigate_public_funding_and_contract_flipping.
- Boyle, T. (2011). Nursing homes take healthier residents over sicker ones, expert charges. (December 16, 2011) Source: http://www.healthzone.ca/health/yourhealth/article/1101499--nursing-homes-take-healthier-residents-over-sicker-ones-expert-charges?bn=1.
- Buchanan, D. (2011). The not-for-profit contribution and issues from the provider perspective. Presentation to “Reimagining long-term residential care” annual meeting (June 2, 2011).Google Scholar
- Canadian Press (2012). Chartwell, U.S. partner buy retirement homes for $931 million. Guelph Mercury (Februrary15, 2012) http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/business/article/715663--chartwell-partner-buy--retirement-homes-for-$931-million.
- Canadian Union of Public Employees. (2005). CUPE wins major victory for former Royal Crest long-term care workers in out-of-court settlement. Ottawa: Canadian Union of Public Employees.Google Scholar
- CBC News (2012b). Family protests 80-year-old’s care home eviction (March 14, 2012). http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/03/14/edmonton-homecare-eviction-protest.html.
- CBC Radio (2012a). Nursing home complaint (March 14, 2012). ww.cbc.ca/…/ID/2210154506/?page=25 - 8k - 2012-03-14 and http://www.cbc.ca/gsa/?q=tranquility+care+homes.
- CMA (Canadian Medical Association) (2010). Health care system: Canadians fear effect of the silver tsunami. Niagara Falls: Author. http://www.cma.ca/advocacy/silver-tsunami.
- CTV News (2004). (April 8, 2004). http://www.ctv.ca/serviet/Articlenews/printi/CTVNews/20040408/royal_crest_040410/20040408/?hub=WFi.
- Clarke, B. (2008). Private-care home is costing more, seniors say; Residents of new ‘P3’ facility say they are paying more than at public home, despite health authority’s assurances to the contrary. Globe & Mail. (December 10, 2008).Google Scholar
- Cohen, M., Murphy, J. M., Nutland, K., & Ostry, A. (2005). Continuing care renewal or retreat? BC Residential and Home Health Care Restructuring 2001–2004 (Vancouver: Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives). http://www.policyalternatives.ca/documents/BC_Office_Pubs/bc_2005/continuing_care.pdf.
- Conference Board of Canada. (2010). Dispelling the myths. Ottawa: Conference Board of Canada.Google Scholar
- Egan, K. (1997a). Cobden nursing home to close: ‘Devastated’ seniors may be forced to leave village. Ottawa Citizen (July 10, 1997): D6.Google Scholar
- Egan, K. (1997b). Heartbroken in Cobden: Many are ‘wounded in the mind,’ but residents of Lakeview Nursing Home are part of community’s fabric. Ottawa Citizen (September 11, 1997): B1.Google Scholar
- Evans, R. G., McGrail, K. M., Morgan, S. G., Barer, M. L., & Hertzman, C. (2001) Apocalypse no: Population aging and the future of health care systems. SEDAP Research Paper No. 9. Hamilton: McMaster University. http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/sedap/p/sedap59.pdf.
- Frank, R. (2012). Too frail to fail. Too frail to fail: A look at seniors’ residence failures. Métropolitain (May 18, 2012) http://www.themetropolitain.ca/articles/view/1106.
- Galt, V. (2012). Affluent boomers expect cruise ship living on land. Globe & Mail (11 July, 2012): B3.Google Scholar
- Gilchrist, J. (2012). Undercover—and appalled at the food served to seniors. Calgary Herald (June 15, 2012).Google Scholar
- Globe & Mail (2012). Canada’s aging population will strain the health care system (February 6, 2012).Google Scholar
- Goodsell, D. (2012). B.C.’s privatization of seniors’ care raises concerns. CBC News (May 8, 2012) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/05/07/bc-seniors-business-private.html.
- Hamilton Spectator (2008). Royal Crest business being reviewed by OPP (February 25, 2008) http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/172985-Royal-crest-business-being-reviewed-by-opp.
- Harrington, C. (2007). Trends in nursing home ownership and quality. Testimony before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Ways and Means, Subcommittee on Health. www.leg.bc.ca/…/Harrington_Trends_in_Nursing_Home_Ownership.
- Harrington, C., Kovner, C., Mezey, M., Kayser-Jones J., et al. (2000). Experts recommend minimum nurse staffing standards for nursing facilities in the US. Gerontologist, 40(1), 5–16.Google Scholar
- HEU (2009b). VIHA cleaning-contractor-compass-cited-for-health & safety violations. www.heu.org/news-media/news-release/VIHAcleaning contractor Compass cited.
- HEU (B.C. Health Employees Union) (2009a). Quality care in B.C.’s residential care facilities. A submission to the Office of the B.C. Ombudsman on Seniors’ Care. January www.heu.org/.
- Hunter, J. (2004). Ramada Inn closing money-losing retirement home. Timmins Daily Press, (March 30, 2004): 1.Google Scholar
- Hutchins, B. (2011). Private sector hired for ‘cultural change’ at Rideaucrest nursing home. The Kingston Heritage EMC (March 3, 2011): 1.Google Scholar
- Keenan, L. (2008). N.B. contemplates more public-private pratfalls. Telegraph-Journal (July 25, 2008): A7.Google Scholar
- Kleiss, K. (2012). Mom’s private-care costs shock family into action: long-term care facility says rent increase justified by level of care needed. Edmonton Journal (March 14, 2012).Google Scholar
- Kramer, A., & Fish, R. (2001). The relationship between nurse staffing levels and the quality of nursing home care. In US Department of Health and Human Services (Ed.), Appropriateness of minimum nurse staffing ratios in nursing homes: Phase II final report (pp. 2.1–2.26). Washington: Health Care Financing Administration.Google Scholar
- Lake Cowichan Gazette (2009). Lake resident urges people to get behind effort to save Cowichan Lodge. Lake Cowichan Gazette (March 23, 2009).Google Scholar
- Leys, C., & Player, S. (2011). The Plot Against the NHS. London: Merlin.Google Scholar
- Martin, B. (1993). In the public interest? Privatization and public sector reform. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- McGregor, M. J., & Ronald, L. A. (2011). Residential long-term. Care for Canadian seniors. Nonprofit, for-profit or does it matter? IRPP Study 14. Ottawa: IRPP.Google Scholar
- McGregor, M., Tate, R. B., Ronald L. A., McGrail K., et al. (2010). Staffing in long-term care in B.C. Canada: a longtitudinal study of differences in facility ownership, 1999–2006. Health Reports, 21(4), 1–7.Google Scholar
- McGregor, M. J., Baumbusch, J., Abu-Laban, R. B., McGrail, K. M., Andrusiek, D., Globerman, J., et al. (2011). A survey of nursing home organizational characteristics associated with potentially avoidable hospital transfers and care quality in one large British Columbia Health Region. Canadian Journal on Aging, 30, 551–561.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McKay, P. (2003a). Taxpayers finance construction boom. Ontario’s Nursing Home Crisis—part 4. Ottawa Citizen (April 29, 2003): A11.Google Scholar
- McKay, P. (2003b). Seniors gold: Ontario’s nursing home crisis—part 3. Ottawa Citizen (April 28, 2003).Google Scholar
- McKay, P. (2003c). The missing millions of a nursing home empire-Ontario nursing home crisis—Part 2. Ottawa Citizen (April 27, 2003).Google Scholar
- Mercury Staff (2012). Chartwell re-acquires south Guelph retirement home. Guelph Mercury, May 2012) 1. http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/local/article/715663--chartwell-re-acquires-south-guelph-retirement-home.
- Morgan, S., & Cunningham, C. (2011). Population aging and the determinants of healthcare expenditures: the case of hospital, medical and pharmaceutical care in British Columbia, 1996 to 2006. Healthcare Policy, 7(1), 68–79.Google Scholar
- Murphy, J. M. (2006). Residential care quality: A review of the literature on nurse and personal care staffing and quality of care. (Nursing Directorate, British Columbia Ministry of Health). http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/library/publications/year/2006/residential-care-quality-a-review-of-the-literature-on-nurse-and-personal-care-staffing-and-quality-of-care.pdf. 447.1KB.
- Norris, G. (2006). Shares in nursing home firm skyrocket: Extendicare sale talk boosts stock. Toronto Star (February 24, 2006): FO3.Google Scholar
- Ombudsperson [British Columbia] (2009). The best of care: Getting it right for seniors in BC (Part 1). www.ombudsman.bc.ca/seniors/seniors-care…/seniors-report-part-one.
- Ombudsperson [British Columbia] (2012). The best of care: Getting it right for seniors in BC (Part 2). www.ombudsman.bc.ca/seniors/seniors-care…/seniors-report-part-two.
- Ontario (2010). Retirement Homes Act, 2010. S.O. 2010 C.11.Google Scholar
- Ontario (2012a). McGuinty government takes steps to license retirement homes. Press release (April 16, 2012).Google Scholar
- Ontario (2012b). Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007. Ontario Regulation 79/10 (last amendment: O. Reg. 108/12).Google Scholar
- Ontario, Office of the Auditor General (2002). 2002 Annual Report. www.auditor.on.ca/reprots_en11/2001en.pdf.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2011). Help wanted? Providing and paying for long-term care. Executive Summary. Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- Poynter, R. (1999). Don’t bypass the workers with public appeals. Hamilton Spectator (March 25, 1999): A10.Google Scholar
- Prada, G. (2011). Innovation procurement in health care. A compelling opportunity for Canada. Ottawa: Conference Board of Canada.Google Scholar
- SachsGoldblattMitchells (2010). Legal Opinion on Retirement Homes Act (Bill 21) for Ontario Health Coalition. (May 27, 2010) http://www.web.net/ohc/bill21opinion.pdf.
- Shiva, V. (2002). Sustainable agriculture and food security: The impact of globalisation. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Statistics Canada. (2012). 2011 Census. The Canadian Population in 2011: Age and sex. Ottawa: Minister of Industry.Google Scholar
- Struthers, J. (1997). Reluctant partners: State regulation of private nursing homes in Ontario, 1941–1972. In R. B. Blake, P. E. Bryden, & J. F. Strain (Eds.), The welfare state in Canada: Past, present, and future (pp. 171–192). Concord: Irwin Publishing.Google Scholar
- Tam, P. (2012). 50-bed seniors’ project nixed; Move highlights hospitals’ competing visions on elder care. Ottawa Citizen (January 7, 2012): D1.Google Scholar
- Wachman, R. (2011). Barclays and Lloyds swallow £50m Southern Cross debt. The Guardian (December 2, 2011).Google Scholar
- Welsh, M. (2012). Inspectors of nursing homes warn of big delays: Union says investigators swamped with caseload. Toronto Star (June 12, 2012): A3.Google Scholar
- Windsor and District Labour Council (2012). La Chaumiere retirement residence. (February 25) http://www.wdlc.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view…id.
- Wright, O. (2011). Care homes operator to close after rents soar. The Independent (March 15, 2011).Google Scholar