“The Destruction of a Legacy”: Agenda Setting and the Bill Cosby Sexual Assault Allegations
- 909 Downloads
Utilizing agenda setting theory, this study investigates the Bill Cosby sexual assault allegation scandal and how the scandal is framed by the media. In order to examine if and how varied networks reported differently on the Cosby scandal, sixty articles from three, distinct networks (CNN, FOX News, E!) were analyzed and coded under seven different categories. Results demonstrate a significant difference among the analyzed networks and media frames most reported in the sample for this study. Although all networks address Cosby’s rise and fall of an American hero, agendas set and story frames presented varied. Specifically, CNN highlighted victims’/survivors’ powerful voice whereas E! and FOX News highlighted Cosby’s support from the black community, celebrities and co-stars. Additional results, discussion and future directions follow.
KeywordsAgenda setting theory Mediated communication Bill Cosby Sexual assault Scandal
This manuscript is based on the first author’s thesis, directed by the second author. The authors thank Dr. Tara McManus, Dr. Jennifer Guthrie and Dr. David Dickens for their helpful comments on the project. An earlier version of this MS was accepted to the 2017 National Communication Association conference, Dallas, TX.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors are not aware of any conflict of interest pertained to this manuscript.
Human and Animal Rights
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Alterman, E. (2003). What liberal media? The truth about bias and the news. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Baxter, L. A., & Babbie, E. (2004). The basics of communication research. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.Google Scholar
- Berger, A. A. (2008). Manufacturing desire: Media, popular culture, and everyday life. New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Publishers.Google Scholar
- Botelho, G. (2014). Famed model hopes her Cosby allegation spurs others to come forward. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/12/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossipbeverlyjohnson-cosby-allegations/
- Bowen, S. (2017). The problem with Bill Cosby’s race defense. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from http://www.refinery29.com/2017/05/154734/bill-cosby-rape-allegations-racism-black-men-bias.
- Bowley, G., Pérez-Peña, R. & Hurdle, J. (2017). Bill Cosby’s sexual assault case ends in a mistrial. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/17/arts/television/bill-cosby-trial-day-11.html.
- Bracks, L. (2011). Bill Cosby (1937–) in African American Almanac: 400 years of triumph, courage, and excellence. Canton, MI: Visible Ink Press.Google Scholar
- Cady, J. (2015). Bill Cosby’s accusers: 35 women speak out in powerful ‘New York Magazine’ cover story. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.etonline.com/news/168733_bill_cosby_35_women_speak_out_new_york_magazine/.
- Carlson, A. (2015). Bill Cosby admits and defends his extramarital affairs, giving women drugs, in newly released court documents. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from http://people.com/celebrity/bill-cosby-deposition-released-admits-affairs-and-giving-women-drugs/.
- Choi, B. & Xiong, X. (2012). Finding updated webpages on the Internet. In Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Communication and Information. doi: 03.css.2012.3.15.Google Scholar
- Croteau, D., & Hoynes, W. (2006). The business of media: Corporate media and the public interest. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc.Google Scholar
- Culp-Ressler, T. (2015). The media still won’t use Bill Cosby and rape in a headline. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from https://thinkprogress.org/amp/p/befe3fc73295?gi=78699af0b3ba.
- de Zengotita, T. (2006). Mediated: How the media shapes your world and the way you live in it. New York, N.Y.: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Desmond-Harris, J. (2015). Bill Cosby’s disturbing love of power, from race rants to drugging women. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from https://www.vox.com/2014/11/21/7259069/bill-cosby-rape-allegations.
- Ember, S. & Bowley, G. (2015). Bill Cosby charged in sexual assault case. Retrieved on March 20, 2017 from https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/business/media/bill-cosby-charged-in-sexual-assault-case.html.
- ETonline Staff (2017). Bill Cosby’s accusers: A timeline of alleged sexual assault claims (updated). Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from http://www.etonline.com/news/154160_timeline_of_bill_cosby_sexual_assault_allegations/.
- Farhi, P. (2015). In 2005, Bill Cosby admitted seeking drugs to give to women. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/in-court-document-bill-cosby-says-he-gave-drugs-to-women-before-sex/2015/07/06/a7b1b762-242c-11e5-aae2-6c4f59b050aa_story.html?utm_term=.72c2c5f8b155.
- Finn, N. (2014a). Bill Cosby lawyer: Actress’ claim that comedian assaulted her at Tonight Show in 1971 is “ridiculous,” wild story. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/599996/bill-cosby-lawyer-actress-claim-that-comedianassaulted-her-at-tonight-show-in-1971-is-ridiculous-wild-story.
- Finn, N. (2014b). Donald Trump thinks Bill Cosby needs a better PR team: Comedian should be handling rape allegations “differently.” Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/uk/news/599836/donald-trump-thinks-bill-cosby-needs-a-betterpr-team-comedian-should-be-handling-rape-allegations-differently.
- FOX News (2014a). Accused rapist Cee Lo Green on Bill Cosby: ‘I definitely can’t judge him. ’Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/05/accused-rapist-cee-lo-green-on-bill-cosby-definitely-cant-judge-him.html.
- FOX News (2014b). Cosby’s lawyer says comedian will not make any comments on rape claims. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/11/16/cosby-lawyer-says-cos-will-not-make-any-comments-on-rape-claims.html.
- FOX News. (2014c). Janice Dickinson on Bill Cosby: “He is a monster… and he raped me.” Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/02/janice-dickinson-bill-cosby-shouldacknowledge-monster-and-raped-me.html.
- FOX News. (2015a). President Obama on Bill Cosby: If you give someone a drug and have sex with them, that’s rape. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/07/15/president-barack-obama-there-is-no-precedent-to-revoke-bill-cosby-medal-freedom.html.
- FOX News. (2015b). Whoopi Goldberg: Bill Cosby is ‘innocent until proven guilty.’ Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/07/07/whoopi-goldberg-bill-cosby-is-innocent-until-proven-guilty.html.
- Gray, E. (2015). Why Bill Cosby admitted under oath to getting drugs to have sex with women. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from http://time.com/3951761/bill-cosby-quaaludes-admission-oath/.
- Grinberg, E. (2015). Bill Cosby faces new allegations of sexual assault. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/entertainment/bill-cosby-new-accusers-feat/index.html.
- Groeling, T. & Baum, M. A. (2007, September). Iraq and the ‘Fox Effect’: An examination of polarizing media and public support for international conflict. In Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Grossman, S. (2015). Here are the places that have cut ties with Bill Cosby. Retrieved on May 6, 2016 from http://time.com/4164222/bill-cosby-sexual-assault-cut-ties/.
- Harnick, C. (2014). South Park holiday special will feature Bill Cosby, Taylor Swift, Iggy Azalae and more. Retrieved on September 16, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/ca/news/604789/south-park-holiday-special-will-feature-bill-cosby-taylor-swift-iggy-azalea-and-more.
- Harrison, L. & Machado, B. (2014). Bill Cosby fires back at sexual abuse accuser, claims woman tried to extort $250,000. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/au/news/603731/bill-cosby-fires-back-at-sexual-abuse-accuserclaims-woman-tried-to-extort-250-000.
- Harrison, L. & Rosenbaum, C. (2015). Janice Dickinson suing Bill Cosby for defamation after response to rape allegations. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/658660/janice-dickinson-suing-bill-cosby-for-defamationafter-response-to-rape-allegations.
- Heller, C. (2014). Bill Cosby’s lawyer issues statement about sexual assault allegations, following actor’s recorded silence in NPR interview. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/598300/bill-cosby-s-lawyer-issues-statement-aboutsexual-assault-allegations-following-actor-s-recorded-silence-in-npr-interview.
- Helsel, P. (2015). Bill Cosby accusers share stories of drugging, assault on A & E. Retrieved on May 6, 2016 from http://nbcnews.com/storyline/bill-cosby-scandal/bill-cosby-accusers-share-stories-drugging-assault-e-n429541.
- Hertog, J. K., & McLeod, D. M. (2001). A multiperspectival approach to framing analysis: A field guide. In S. D. Reese, O. H. Gandy, & A. E. Grant (Eds.), Framing public life: Perspectives on media and our understanding of the social world (pp. 141–161). Nahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.Google Scholar
- Hetter, K. (2014). Bill Cosby resigns from Temple University board. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/01/showbiz/bill-cosby-resigns-temple-university-board/.
- Holpuch, A., Glenza, J. & Woolf, N. (2015). The Bill Cosby sexual abuse claims—57 women and the dates they went public. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/31/bill-cosby-sexual-abuse-claims-57-women-dates-public-accusations.
- Howard, A. (2014). Bill Cosby breaks silence: Black media will stay neutral. Retrieved on July 21, 2016 from http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bill-cosby-breaks-silence-black-media-will-stay-neutral#55409.
- Jarrett, G. (2014). Bill Cosby: In court of public opinion entertainer has lost, in court of law,he’d likely win. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/11/25/bill-cosby-in-court-public-opinionentertainer-has-lost-in-court-law-hed-likely.html.
- Jarrett, L. (2017). Judge rules only one additional accuser may testify at Cosby trial. Retrieved on February 24, 2017 from http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/24/us/bill-cosby-trial/index.html.
- Johnson, B. (2015). Source: ABC made Whoopi Goldberg change Bill Cosby’s stance. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/07/15/source-abcmade-whoopi-goldberg-change-bill-cosby-stance.html.
- JVG. (2012). Welcome to generation tweet: 31 percent of online 18 to 24 year-olds use Twitter. Retrieved on February 5, 2016 from http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/31/generation-tweet/on Feb 24, 2017 from http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/24/us/bill-cosby-trial/.
- Kim, K., Littlefield, C., Olsen, M. & Etehad, M. (2017). Bill Cosby: A 50-year chronicle of accusations and accomplishments. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-bill-cosby-timeline-htmlstory.html.
- King, J. D. (2010). The awakening of global consciousness: A guide to self-realization and spirituality. Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse.Google Scholar
- Kohn, S. (2015). Now will you believe Cosby accusers? Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/opinions/kohn-bill-cosby-quaaludes/index.html.
- Kurtz, H. (2014). Why liberals are turning on Bill Cosby over rape allegations. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/18/why-liberals-areturning-on-bill-cosby-over-rape-allegations.html.
- Leopold, T. (2014). Rape allegations won’t go away for Bill Cosby. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/showbiz/tv/bill-cosby-rape-allegations/.
- Leopold, T. (2015). Bill Cosby’s TV son Malcolm-Jamal Warner speaks up. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/22/entertainment/feat-malcolm-jamal-warner-cosby-comments/index.html.
- Lowry, D. T., Ching Josephine Nio, T., & Leitner, D. W. (2003). Setting the public agenda: A longitudinal analysis of network TV crime reporting, public perceptions of crime, and FBI crime statistics. Journal of Communication, 53(1), 61–73. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-2466.2003.tb03005.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lull, J., & Hinerman, S. (1997). Media scandals: Morality and desire in the popular culture marketplace. New York, N.Y.: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Malec, B. (2015). Malcolm-Jamal Warner calls Bill Cosby sexual assault allegations “painful,” praises the “legendary” comedian amid controversy. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/616965/malcolm-jamal-warner-calls-bill-cosby-sexual-assault-allegations-painful-praises-the-legendary-comedian-amid-controversy.
- McCombs, M. (2004). Setting the agenda: The mass media and public opinion. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- McCombs, M. (2009). Agenda-setting theory of Maxwell McCombs & Donald Shaw. In E. Griffin (Ed.), A first look at communication theory (pp. 359–370). New York, N.Y.: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- McLaughlin, E. C. (2014). Ex-prosecutor wanted to charge Bill Cosby but lacked evidence. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/19/showbiz/bill-cosby-rape-allegation-prosecutor/index.html.
- Means Coleman, R. R. (1998). African American viewers and the black situation comedy: Situating racial humor. New York, N.Y.: Garland Publishing Inc.Google Scholar
- Merritt, D., & McCombs, M. (2003). The two w’s of journalism: The why and what of public affairs reporting. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Meyer, K. (2015). Blessed with his semen, like ‘holy water’ and other new sexual allegations against Cosby. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/08/13/blessed-his-semen-holy-water-and-other-newsexual-allegations-against-cosby.
- Mitchell, A., Gottfried, J., Barthel, M., & Shearer, E. (2016). The modern news consumer: News attitudes and practices in the digital era.. Retrieved on January 26, 2017 from http://www.journalism.org/2016/07/07/pathways-to-news/.
- Mitchell, A., Gottfried, J., Kiley, J., & Matsa, K. A. (2014). Political polarization & media habits. Retrieved on August 2, 2016 from http://www.journalism.org/2014/10/21/political-polarization-media-habits/.
- Montero-Hernandez, R. (2016). Bill Cosby is legally blind, according to defense attorneys. Retrieved on March 20, 2017 from http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/bill-cosby-blind/.
- Nessif, B. (2014). Bill Cosby memes backfire after Internet focuses on rape allegations. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/596722/billy-cosby-memes-backfire-after-internet-focuses-on-rape-allegations.
- Nessif, B. (2015). Bill Cosby pokes fun at sexual assault allegations during stand-up routine in Canada. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/612808/bill108cosby-pokes-fun-at-sexual-assault-allegations-during-stand-up-routine-in-canada.
- Pallota, F. & Shiels, M. (2014). NBC says it’s not moving forward with Bill Cosby project. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/19/media/cosby-nbc-sitcom/index.html.
- Petty, R. E., Briñol, P., & Priester, J. R. (2009). Mass media attitude change: Implications of the elaboration likelihood model of persuasion. In J. Bryant & M. B. Oliver (Eds.), Media effects: Advances in theory and research (3rd ed., pp. 125–164). New York, N.Y.: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Pew Research Center (2012). Section 4: Demographics and political views of news audiences. Retrieved on January 26, 2017 from http://www.people-press.org/2012/09/27/section-4-demographics-and-political-views-of-news-audiences/.
- Pew Research Center (2016). Pathways to news. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from http://www.journalism.org/2016/07/07/pathways-to-news/.
- Porreca, B. (2016). ‘Neighbors 2’ premiere: Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne explain Zac Efron’s absence. Retrieved on August 27, 2016 from https://www.yahoo.com/movies/neighbors-2-premiere-seth-rogen-rose-byrne-explain-183105827.html.
- Rice, L. (2015). Bill Cosby’s lawyer says Quaaludes were used for consensual sex. Retrieved on July 10, 2017 from http://ew.com/article/2015/07/21/bill-cosby-deposition-response/.
- Seemayer, Z. (2014). Comedy world reacts to accusations against Bill Cosby. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/04/bill-cosby-comedians-react-sad-incomprehensible.html.
- Stelter, B. (2014). Bill Cosby’s attorney calls rape allegations ‘decade-old’ and ‘discredited.’ Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/15/media/bill-cosby-rape-allegations/index.html.
- Stutz, C. (2016). Kanye West nuzzles naked Taylor Swift, Donald Trump & Bill Cosby in ‘Famous’ video. Retrieved on August 27, 2016 from http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/7416556/kanye-west-naked-taylor-swift-donald-trump-famous-video-premiere.
- Telusma, B. (2014). Camille Cosby, another victim of the controversy? Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/19/opinion/telusma-camille-cosby/index.html.
- Toomey, A. (2014a). Bill Cosby tweets thanks to celeb supporters as three alleged rape victims make jaw-dropping claims in press conference. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/603286/bill-cosby-tweets-thanks-to-celeb-supporters-as-three-alleged-rape-victims-make-jaw-dropping-claims-in-press-conference.
- Toomey, A. (2014b). Bill Cosby returns to the stage amid rape allegations, jokes that he’s an ‘evil man.’ Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/600073/bill-cosby-returns-to-the-stage-amid-rape-allegations-jokes-that-he-s-an-evil-man.
- Toomey, A. (2014c). The View hosts butt heads as they debate Bill Cosby allegations (and things get really awkward)- watch. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/599750/the-view-hosts-butt-heads-as-they-debate-billcosby-rape-allegations-and-things-get-really-awkward-watch.
- Toomey, A. (2015). Bill Cosby’s show will go on: Comedian says he’s “far from finished,” calls comedy tour “family, fun entertainment.” Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.eonline.com/news/615075/bill-cosby-s-show-will-go-on-comedian-says-he-s-far-from-finished-calls-comedy-tour-family-fun-entertainment.
- TV by the numbers (2012). BET is still the #1 cable network among African Americans. Retrieved on August 3, 2016 from http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/12/21/bet-is- still-the-1-cable-network-among-african-americans/.
- Weaver, H. (2017). Bill Cosby faces another setback in sexual-assault trial. Retrieved on January 31, 2017 from http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/01/bill-cosby-trial-location-change.
- Whitaker, M. (2014). Cosby: His life and times. New York, N.Y.: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Willis, J. (2014). Bill Cosby tweets thanks to Whoopi Goldberg, Jill Scott for their support. Retrieved on October 20, 2016 from http://www.etonline.com/news/154640_bill_cosby_thanks_supporters_jill_scott_and_whoopi_goldberg/.
- Zinoman, J. (2017). In Netflix specials, Dave Chapelle challenges his audience, The New York Times. Retrieved on March 22, 2017 from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/arts/television/netflix-specials-dave-chappelle-review.html.