Some Legal Thoughts on Transsexuality in the Healthcare System After the New Edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- 180 Downloads
If anything defines the phenomenon of transsexuality is its interdisciplinarity. For a rigorous study of transsexuality, it is imperative to consider not only its legal sphere (Armaza-Armaza and Atienza-Macıías 2013) (specifically its legal-health sphere), but also its sociological, psychological, ethical, philosophical (Butler 2004) and political sphere. This is a matter in which the social weight, specifically from the transgender groups, has been and remains crucial in many aspects: from the progressive elimination of discrimination to the influence on legislators (Rubio-Torrano 2011). This commentary makes a special remark into the substantial developments that the publication of the Fifth Edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V, American Psychiatric Association 2013a) has established in this area.
It is noteworthy that, since 1980, transsexuality has been classified as a mental disorder and, consequently, is currently included within the...
KeywordsMental Disorder Gender Dysphoria Gender Identity Disorder Gender Identity Disorder Legal Thought
This work is part of the Research Training Grant Programme from the Agency for Research Promotion and Management-DEIKER, at the University of Deusto. Likewise, this research has been made possible by the support of the Department of Education, Universities and Research of the Basque Government for supporting activities of research groups of the Basque university system with reference IT581-13.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013a). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5) (5th ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.Google Scholar
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013b). Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf.
- Armaza-Armaza, E. J., & Atienza-Macías, E. (2013). El tratamiento jurídico de las intervenciones en el aparato reproductor humano: Esterilización, castración química y cirugía de reasignación sexual. In A. Palomar-Olmeda & J. Cantero-Martínez (Eds.), Tratado de Derecho Sanitario (pp. 735–771). Navarra: Thomson Reuters Aranzadi.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, H. (1966). The transsexual phenomenon. New York: Julian Press.Google Scholar
- Butler, J. (2004). Undoing gender. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Rubio-Torrano, E. (2011). Cambio de sexo (jurídico). Romeo-Casabona, C.M. (Ed.). Enciclopedia de Bioderecho y Bioética. Bilbao: Inter-University Chair in Law and the Human Genome, pp. 314–321.Google Scholar