Criminal markets: the dark web, money laundering and counterstrategies - An overview of the 10th Research Conference on Organized Crime
On 10–11 October 2018, the 10th Research Conference on Organized Crime took place in The Hague. This year’s theme was Criminal Markets: The Dark Web, Money Laundering and Counterstrategies. Researchers, practitioners and policy makers gathered to discuss research results, trends and policy issues. This article looks into recent developments on the topics mentioned and gives an overview of the conference.
KeywordsOrganized crime Money laundering Dark web Research conference
This project was co-funded by the Internal Security Fund (decentral) of the European Union, number IK25-5793-2016-11.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Julia Weber works at the Bundeskriminalamt. Edwin Kruisbergen works at the Research and Documentation Centre (WODC) of the Dutch Ministry of Justice and Security. Both the Bundeskriminalamt and the WODC take part in the EU-funded Research Network on Organised Crime 2017–2019.
Research involving human participants or animal studies
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Bulanova-Hristova G et al (eds) (2016) Cyber-OC – Scope and manifestations in selected EU member states, Polizei + Forschung 50. https://www.bka.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Publikationen/Publikationsreihen/PolizeiUndForschung/1_50_Cyber-OC-ScopeAndManifestationsInSelectedEUMemberStates.html. Accessed 26 Nov 2018
- Custers BHM, Pool RLD, Cornelisse R (2018) Banking malware and the laundering of its profits. Eur J Criminol. https://doi.org/10.1177/1477370818788007
- EMCDDA & Europol (2017) Drugs and the darknet. Perspectives for enforcement, research and policy, Lisbon. http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/darknet_en. Accessed 26 Nov 2018
- Persi Paoli G, Aldridge J, Ryan N, Warnes R (2017) Behind the curtain. The illicit trade of firearms, explosives and ammunition on the dark web. RAND Corporation, Santa Monica. https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2091.html. Accessed 26 Nov 2018
- Töttel U, Bulanova-Hristova G, Kleemans ER (2012) Research on organized crime in Western Europe — 4th research conference “OC research in Western European states” in Wiesbaden. Trends in Organized Crime 15(2–3):260–265Google Scholar
- Töttel U, Bulanova-Hristova G, Büchler H (eds) (2013) Research conferences on organized crime at the Bundeskriminalamt in Germany (Vol. II). Organized crime – research and practice in Western and Northern Europe, Polizei + Forschung 45. https://www.bka.de/DE/UnsereAufgaben/Forschung/ForschungskooperationenUndKonferenzen/OK-Forschungskonferenzen/2012/ok-forschungskonferenz2012_node.html. Accessed 26 Nov 2018
- Töttel U, Bulanova-Hristova G, Flach G (eds) (2016) Research conferences on organized crime at the Bundeskriminalamt in Germany (Vol. III). Transnational organized crime, Polizei + Forschung 48. https://www.bka.de/DE/UnsereAufgaben/Forschung/ForschungskooperationenUndKonferenzen/OK-Forschungskonferenzen/2013/ok-forschungskonferenz2013_node.html. Accessed 26 Nov 2019