On Czech Dissent
The essay is a review of some recent books on the phenomenon of dissent in Communist Czechoslovakia. It considers the nature and legacy of the dissidents' confrontation with totalitarian power and examines some of the internal political and philosophical debates within the dissident community.
KeywordsTotalitarianism Communism Czechoslovakia Vaclav Havel Vaclav Benda
- Arendt, H. 2003. Responsibility and Judgment. New York, NY: Schocken Books.Google Scholar
- Kovály, H. M. 1997. Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague 1941–1968. New York, NY: Holmes and Meier.Google Scholar
- Manton, E. (Ed.). 2007. Jan Patočka: Living in Problematicity. Praha: Edice Oikúmemé.Google Scholar
- Patočka, J. 2002. Plato and Europe. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Taylor, F. F., IV (Ed.). 2011. The Great Lie: Classic and Recent Appraisals of Ideology and Totalitarianism. Wilmington, DE: ISI Books.Google Scholar