A Preliminary Study of Alternative Open Access Journal Indexes
This paper examines a group of selected open access journal indexes by non-mainstream index providers. It finds that journals seeking such indexing are mainly “predatory” journals. Most of these so-called alternative indexes have not provided any evidence of employing quality assessment in journal inclusions. They also are not supporting interoperability for online searching across the Web. Comparisons among the alternative indexes yield many overlaps of journals, indicating shared business of these indexes and journals.
KeywordsOpen access journals Predatory journals Non-mainstream indexing Unethical practice Alternative publishing market
- 4.Google Scholar. Inclusion guidelines for webmasters. https://scholar.google.com/intl/en/scholar/inclusion.html. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- 5.McVeigh ME. Open access journals in the ISI citation databases: analysis of impact factors and citation patterns. https://ips.clarivate.com//m/pdfs/openaccesscitations2.pdf. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- 6.Electronic Journals Library. About the EZB. https://rzblx1.uni-regensburg.de/ezeit/about.phtml?bibid=AAAAA&colors=7&lang=en. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- 11.Jalalian M. The story of fake impact factor companies and how we detected them. Electron Physician. 2015;7(2):1069–72.Google Scholar
- 16.Adams C. Directory of open access journals introduces new standards to help community address quality concerns. SPARC, 2015. https://sparcopen.org/news/2015/directory-of-open-access-journals-introduces-new-standards-to-help-community-address-quality-concerns/. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- 17.Crawford W. Journals, “journals” and wannabes: investigating the list. Cites Insights. 2014;14(7):1–24.Google Scholar
- 18.Yeates S. After Beall’s ‘list of predatory publishers’: problems with the list and paths forward. Inf Res 2017; 22(4).Google Scholar
- 20.Directory of Open Access Journals. https://doaj.org/about. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.
- 21.Testa J. Journal selection process. Clarivate Analytics. https://clarivate.com/essays/journal-selection-process. Accessed 15 Jan 2019.