Startups Within the U.S. Book Publishing Industry
- 574 Downloads
This article is based on a study of approximately 900 new businesses in the book publishing sector, most created since 2007. It seeks to gain a quantitative view of these startups, their business mission, funding and outcome. It discusses the forces that created an opportunity for these businesses.
KeywordsBook publishing Book publishing startups Business startups ebooks Amazon Kindle
I have no investments or current consulting relationships with the companies on this list.
- 1.Lohr S. Technology sell-off may bring shakeout of dot-com concerns. Nytimes.com. 17 April 2000. Web. 19 Jan 2017. https://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/17/business/technology-sell-off-may-bring-shakeout-of-dot-com-concerns.html.
- 2.O’Reilly T. What Is Web 2.0. Oreilly.com. 30 Sept 2005. Web. 19 Jan 2017. http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/web2/archive/what-is-web-20.html.
- 3.Phillips S. A brief history of Facebook. The Guardian. 25 July 2007. Web. 19 Jan 2017. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2007/jul/25/media.newmedia.
- 4.Wagner K. The history of Amazon’s Kindle so far. Gizmodo. 28 Sept 2011. Web. 20 Jan 2017. http://gizmodo.com/5844662/the-history-of-amazons-kindle-so-far/.
- 5.Evans B. Mobile is eating the world. Benedict Evans. 9 Dec 2016. Web. 20 Jan 2017. http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2016/12/8/mobile-is-eating-the-world.
- 6.Bower JL, Christensen CM. Disruptive technologies: catching the wave. Harvard Business Review. 1 Jan 1995. Web. 20 Jan 2017. https://hbr.org/1995/01/disruptive-technologies-catching-the-wave.
- 7.Piersanti S. 10 Awful truths about publishing—Berrett-Koehler Publishers. Bkconnection.com. 19 Jan 2017. Web 20 Jan. 2017. https://www.bkconnection.com/the-10-awful-truths-about-book-publishing.
- 8.O’Reilly T. Tools of change for publishing—insight, events, resources. Toc.oreilly.com. 2 May 2013. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://toc.oreilly.com.
- 9.Bashkar M. Digital publishing startups. Google Docs. n.d. Web. 21 Jan 2017. <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vcPBUincOjwgIQBjq_qhMPb9QYitgeyl6gQUM1hWQUw/edit?usp=embed_facebook>.
- 10.McIlroy T. An authoritative look at book publishing startups. Thefutureofpublishing.com. 10 Jan 2017. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://thefutureofpublishing.com/2017/01/an-authoritative-look-at-book-publishing-startups/.
- 11.Button L. 61 ABA Member Stores Open in 2015; 16 Sold to New Owners. American Booksellers Association. 17 Feb 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://www.bookweb.org/news/61-aba-member-stores-open-2015-16-sold-new-owners.
- 12.Anderson P. Data-dancing: how big is self-publishing? The Bookseller. 11 Jun 2015. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://www.thebookseller.com/futurebook/futurebook-cha-cha-how-big-self-publishing.
- 13.AAP. U.S. Publishing Industry’s Annual Survey Reveals Nearly $28 Billion in Revenue in 2015. 16 July 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://newsroom.publishers.org/us-publishing-industrys-annual-survey-reveals-nearly-28-billion-in-revenue-in-2015.
- 14.NVCA. $58.8 Billion in Venture Capital Invested Across U.S. in 2015, According to the MoneyTree Report—NVCA. NVCA. 15 Jan 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://nvca.org/pressreleases/58-8-billion-in-venture-capital-invested-across-u-s-in-2015-according-to-the-moneytree-report-2/.
- 15.CB Insights—Blog. The R.I.P. Report—Startup Death Trends. CB Insights—Blog. 18 Jan 2014. Web. 21 Jan 2017. https://www.cbinsights.com/blog/startup-death-data/.
- 16.Griffith E. Startups are failing because they make products no one wants. Fortune.com. 25 Sept 2014. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://fortune.com/2014/09/25/why-startups-fail-according-to-their-founders/.
- 17.Chaney P. Are startup failure rates as bad as they used to be?. Small Business Trends. 4 Aug 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. https://smallbiztrends.com/2016/08/are-startup-failure-rates-still-bad.html.
- 18.Elizabeth Spiers. Medium and There Is Only R. Medium. 5 Jan 2017. Web. 21 Jan 2017. https://medium.com/@espiers/medium-and-there-is-only-r-cb0cf8fcbdcd#.38ls9f157.
- 19.Bello G. PW Select December 2012: Wattpad Revolutionizes Online Storytelling. PublishersWeekly.com. 21 Dec 2012. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/authors/pw-select/article/55231-pw-select-december-2012-wattpad-revolutionizes-online-storytelling.html.
- 20.Data Guy. Print vs digital, traditional vs non-traditional, bookstore vs online: 2016 Trade Publishing by the numbers. Authorearnings.com. n.d. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://authorearnings.com/report/dbw2017/.
- 21.Publishers Weekly. Global Publishing Leaders 2016: Simon & Schuster.” PublishersWeekly.com. 26 Aug 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/71336-global-publishing-leaders-2016-simon-schuster.html.
- 22.Data Guy. May 2016 Author Earnings Report: the definitive million-title study of US author earnings. Authorearnings.com. May 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://authorearnings.com/report/may-2016-report/.
- 23.Reed Hastings. Netflix, Inc.—Current Report. Ir.netflix.com. n.d. Web. 21 Jan 2017. https://ir.netflix.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1065280-16-51&CIK=1065280.
- 24.Calvin Reid. IDPF Votes to Approve Merger with W3C. PublishersWeekly.com. 9 Nov 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/71986-idpf-votes-to-approve-merger-with-w3c.html.
- 25.Guren, C. How machine learning will drive book publishing. Digital Book World. 28 Jul 2016. Web. 21 Jan 2017. http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2016/loving-alien-machine-learning-publishing/.