Professor Goes Gaga: Teaching Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame
- 1.4k Downloads
This paper presents an account of the conditions and consequences of a university-level teaching experience in the sociology of fame centered on the case of Lady Gaga. When the course “Lady Gaga and the Sociology of the Fame” at the University of South Carolina was announced in the autumn of 2010, it became the number-one Lady Gaga news story, reported and discussed in a wide variety of internet sources and media outlets across the world. The unprecedented attention devoted to the course placed its instructor in an unexpected and unique position to experience various dimensions of contemporary celebrity culture while teaching on that very subject matter. This paper offers a sociological autobiography to discuss this experience as a manifestation of the reflexivity of social knowledge and the interplay between sociology and society.
KeywordsFame Celebrity Teaching Lady Gaga Autobiography
- Adams, R. G. (1998). Inciting sociological thought by studying the Deadhead community: engaging publics in dialogue. Social Forces, 77(1), 1–25.Google Scholar
- Allen, C. (2011). Lady Gaga makes it to Harvard. Minding the Campus, November 18, 2011. http://www.mindingthecampus.com/originals/2011/11/lady_gaga_makes_it_to_harvard.html.
- BBC News. (2010). University offers Lady Gaga course. BBC News, November 2, 2010. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11672679.
- Brackett, C. (2012). New rhetoric course focuses on Lady Gaga. The Collegian, March 22, 2012. http://thecollegianur.com/2012/03/22/new-rhetoric-course-focuses-on-lad`y-gaga/26471/.
- Carli, R. (2010). Lady Gaga and the sociology of fame: College course. Agence France-Presse, November 17, 2010. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jKfPYtNzpER1BKmKu5MQeaQpHMdA?docId=CNG.0c6a20326055f0bda6d1efcb4c089e51.43.
- CBS News. (2011). Lady Gaga on ‘Mastering the Art of Fame.’ CBS News, February 14, 2011. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-7337078.html.
- Conradt, S. (2011). 22 fascinating and bizarre college classes offered this semester. CNN.com, August 29, 2011. http://www.cnn.com/2011/08/29/living/bizarre-college-courses-mf/index.html.
- Corona, V. P. (2011). Memory, monsters, and Lady Gaga. The Journal of Popular Culture, 44(2), 1–19.Google Scholar
- Coser, L. (1973). The intellectual as celebrity. Dissent, 20(1), 46–56.Google Scholar
- Costello, C. (2011). Lady Gaga addresses embracing the art of fame. ArtistDirect, July 31, 2011. http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/lady-gaga-addresses-embracing-the-art-of-fame/9042065.
- Coulter, A. (2012). The problem with Santorum. Human Events, February 29, 2012. http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=49879.
- Deflem, M. (2012a). The presentation of fame in everyday life: the case of Lady Gaga. Margin, 1(The Divas Issue), 58–68.Google Scholar
- Deflem, M. (2012b). The sex of Lady Gaga. In R. J. Gray (Ed.), The performance identities of Lady Gaga (pp. 19–32). Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.Google Scholar
- Edwards, A. (2010). Lady Gaga class is no (fame) monster. The Daily Pennsylvanian, November 17, 2010. http://www.thedp.com/article/2010/11/adlibs_lady_gaga_class_is_no_fame_monster.
- Everett, I. (2010). Gaga’s class leaves one speechless. The Daily Cougar, November 12, 2010. http://thedailycougar.com/2010/11/12/gaga’s-class-leaves-one-speechless.
- Fitzgerald, J. (2010). Professor goes Gaga. The Daily Gamecock, October 26, 2010, pp. 1, 3.Google Scholar
- Footnotes. (2010). Footnotes, the ASA newsletter, “In The News” section, December 2010. http://www.asanet.org/footnotes/dec10/announce_1210.html.
- Footnotes. (2011). Footnotes, the ASA newsletter, “In The News” section, January 2011. http://www.asanet.org/footnotes/jan11/announce_0111.html.
- Fox, K. (2013) Happy birthday Lady Gaga. OM Times, March 28, 2013. http://astrology.omtimes.com/2013/03/happy-birthday-lady-gaga/
- Gamson, J. (1994). Claims to fame: Celebrity in contemporary America. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Genco, E. (2012). Music icons rock the “Ivory Tower” of higher education. USA Today College, February 10, 2012. http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/ccp/music-icons-rock-the-ivory-tower-of-higher-ed.
- Gray, R. J. (2012). The performance identities of Lady Gaga. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.Google Scholar
- Griggs, M. (2011). Why I enrolled in “Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame.” The Huffington Post, January 7, 2011. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/malia-griggs/insiders-perspective-of-l_b_805590.html.
- Hollands, C. (2012). Tufts shows its poker face. Boston Daily, January 20, 2012. http://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/blog/2012/01/20/tufts-shows-its-poker-face/.
- Johnson, J. (2010). OMG: U of South Carolina adds Lady Gaga sociology course. WashingtonPost.com, October 28, 2010. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/campus-overload/2010/10/omg_u_of_south_carolina_adds_l.html.
- Khan, E. (2012). Top 10 bizarre university courses. Wonders List, November 9, 2012. http://www.wonderslist.com/2012/11/09/top-10-bizarre-university-courses/.
- Knich, D. (2010). USC prof is all about terrorism… and Lady Gaga. The State, October 29, 2010, p. B3.Google Scholar
- Marshall, P. D. (1997). Celebrity and power: Fame in contemporary culture. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Murphy, C. (2011). Lady Gaga’s influence reaches ASU classrooms. The State Press, August 31, 2011. http://www.statepress.com/2011/08/31/lady-gaga’s-influence-reaches-asu-classrooms/.
- Nobel, C. (2011). HBS Cases: Lady Gaga. Harvard Business School, September 26, 2011. http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6812.html.
- Oo, P. (2011). Gaga over Gaga. Scan, February 12, 2011. http://www.stkate.edu/scan/12-feb/gaga.html.
- Quinn, R. (2011). Students vouch for Gaga class. The Daily Gamecock, February 1, 2011, pp. 1–2.Google Scholar
- Rosenwald, M. (2012). At U-Md., a Class about Lady Gaga. The Washington Post, March 9, 2012. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rosenwald-md/post/at-u-md-a-class-about-lady-gaga/2012/03/09/gIQADw1R1R_blog.html.
- Seelye, K.Q. (2010). Beyond ABCs of Lady Gaga to the sociology of fame. The New York Times, October 29, 2010, p. A11.Google Scholar
- Seidel, C. (2010). Pop culture shouldn’t mix with college. The Daily Gamecock, November 3, 2010.Google Scholar
- The Harvard Crimson. (2010). Gaga for Gaga: USC’s upcoming course promises to engage students (editorial). The Harvard Crimson, November 1, 2010. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2010/11/1/gaga-students-course-professor/.
- Tyson, C. (2010). Gaga for Gaga: English course takes inspiration from Lady Gaga. Cavalier Daily, September 8, 2010. http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2010/09/gaga-for-gaga/.
- USC News. (2010). Sociology professor will teach Lady Gaga course. USC News, October 22, 2010. http://www.sc.edu/news/newsarticle.php?nid=1347.