NMR assignments of the N-terminal domain of Staphylococcus aureus hibernation promoting factor (SaHPF)
Staphylococcus aureus: hibernation-promoting factor (SaHPF) is a 22.2 kDa stationary-phase protein that binds to the ribosome and turns it to the inactive form favoring survival under stress. Sequence analysis has shown that this protein is combination of two homolog proteins obtained in Escherichia coli—ribosome hibernation promoting factor (HPF) (11,000 Da) and ribosome modulation factor RMF (6500 Da). Binding site of E. coli HPF on the ribosome have been shown by X-ray study of Thermus thermophilus ribosome complex. Hence, recent studies reported that the interface is markedly different between 100S from S. aureus and E. coli. Cryo-electron microscopy structure of 100S S. aureus ribosomes reveal that the SaHPF-NTD binds to the 30S subunit as observed for shorter variants of HPF in other species and the C-terminal domain (CTD) protrudes out of each ribosome in order to mediate dimerization. SaHPF-NTD binds to the small subunit similarly to its homologs EcHPF, EcYfiA, and a plastid-specific YfiA. Furthermore, upon binding to the small subunit, the SaHPF-NTD occludes several antibiotic binding sites at the A site (hygromycin B, tetracycline), P site (edeine) and E site (pactamycin, kasugamycin). In order to elucidate the structure, dynamics and function of SaHPF-NTD from S. aureus, here we report the backbone and side chain resonance assignments for SaHPF-NTD. Analysis of the backbone chemical shifts by TALOS+ suggests that SaHPF-NTD contains two α-helices and four β-strands (β1-α1-β2-β3-β4-α2 topology). Investigating the long-term survival of S. aureus and other bacteria under antibiotic pressure could lead to advances in antibiotherapy.
KeywordsHPF Hibernation Pathogen Ribosome Protein NMR Resonance assignment
- S. aureus
Ribosome modulation factor
Staphylococcus aureus hibernation promoting factor
N-terminal domain of SaHPF
C-terminal domain of SaHPF
Protease inhibitor cocktail
Phenylmethane sulfonyl fluoride
This work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation (Grant 16-14-10014).
- Ayupov RK, Akberova NI (2016a) Prediction of the three-dimensional structure of the protein SaHPF and analysis of its molecular dynamics. Int J Pharm Technol 8:14548–14557Google Scholar
- Ayupov RKh, Akberova NI (2016b) Analysis of the structure of SaHPF Staphylococcus aureus protein. Uchenye Zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta Seriya Estestvennye Nauki 158:327–337Google Scholar
- Ayupov RK, Khusainov ISh, Validov SZ, Yusupova GZ, Yusupov MM (2016c) Isolation and purification of Staphylococcus aureus hibernation promoting factor inactivating of the ribosome. Int J Pharm Technol 8:14392–143986Google Scholar
- Khusainov I, Vicens Q, Ayupov R, Usachev K, Myasnikov A, Simonetti A, Validov Sh, Kieffer B, Yusupova G, Yusupov M, Hashem Ya (2017) Structures and dynamics of hibernating ribosomes from S. aureus mediated by intermolecular interactions of HPF. EMBO J 36(14):2073–2087. doi: 10.15252/embj.201696105 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Russell JB, Cook GM (1995) Energetics of bacterial growth: balance of anabolic and catabolic reactions. Microbiol Rev 59:48–62Google Scholar