Resonance assignments of the microtubule-binding domain of the C. elegans spindle and kinetochore-associated protein 1
- 301 Downloads
During mitosis, kinetochores coordinate the attachment of centromeric DNA to the dynamic plus ends of microtubules, which is hypothesized to pull sister chromatids toward opposing poles of the mitotic spindle. The outer kinetochore Ndc80 complex acts synergistically with the Ska (spindle and kinetochore-associated) complex to harness the energy of depolymerizing microtubules and power chromosome movement. The Ska complex is a hexamer consisting of two copies of the proteins Ska1, Ska2 and Ska3, respectively. The C-terminal domain of the spindle and kinetochore-associated protein 1 (Ska1) is the microtubule-binding domain of the Ska complex. We solved the solution structure of the C. elegans microtubule-binding domain (MTBD) of the protein Ska1 using NMR spectroscopy. Here, we report the resonance assignments of the MTBD of C. elegans Ska1.
KeywordsSka complex Kinetochore Mitosis Microtubule NMR resonance assignments
Support for this project is provided by project P22170, and the doctoral school "DK Molecular Enzymology" (W901-B05), which are both funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). This work was supported by NIH grants NIDDK-K01-DK085198 (HA), GM047467 (GW) and by a grant from the NIH/National Institute of General Medical Sciences to IMC (GM088313).
- Delaglio F, Grzesiek S, Vuister GW, Zhu G, Pfeifer J, Bax A (1995) NMRPipe: a multidimensional spectral processing system based on UNIX pipes. J Biomol NMR 6(3):277–293Google Scholar
- Gans P, Hamelin O, Sounier R, Ayala I, Dura MA, Amero CD, Noirclerc-Savoye M, Franzetti B, Plevin MJ, Boisbouvier J (2010) Stereospecific isotopic labeling of methyl groups for NMR spectroscopic studies of high-molecular-weight proteins. Angew Chem 49(11):1958–1962. doi: 10.1002/anie.200905660 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gardner KH, Kay LE (1997) Production and incorporation of 15 N, 13C, 2H (1H–d1 Methyl) isoleucine into proteins for multidimensinoal NMR studies. J Am Chem Soc 119(32):7599–7600Google Scholar
- Keller R (2004) The computer aided resonance assignment tutorial. CANTINA, GoldauGoogle Scholar
- Schmidt JC, Arthanari H, Boeszoermenyi A, Dashkevich NM, Wilson-Kubalek EM, Monnier N, Markus M, Oberer M, Milligan RA, Bathe M, Wagner G, Grishchuk EL, Cheeseman IM (2012) The kinetochore-bound Ska1 complex tracks depolymerizing microtubules and binds to curved protofilaments. Dev Cell 23(5):968–980. doi: 10.1016/j.devcel.2012.09.012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar