Bowel Imaging in Children: Part 2
- 34 Downloads
The bowel is a challenging abdominal organ to image. A variety of bowel disorders such as congenital, developmental, inflammatory, infectious and neoplastic lesions can affect children and most of them are either unique to this age group or have a distinct clinico-radiological appearance compared to adults. Imaging forms an integral part of management of these disorders. This article will cover inflammatory/infective, neoplastic and miscellaneous disorders affecting the bowel. The authors will highlight the salient imaging features for those entities.
KeywordsBowel Imaging Children
All authors contributed equally to this manuscript.Dr. Arun Kumar Gupta and Dr. Raju Sharma will act as guarantors for this paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of Interest
Source of Funding
- 4.Machado NO. Neutropenic enterocolitis: a continuing medical and surgical challenge. N Am J Med Sci. 2010l;2:293–300.Google Scholar
- 6.Raviglione M, Sulis G. Tuberculosis 2015: burden, challenges and strategy for control and elimination. Infect Dis Rep [Internet]. 2016 Jun 24;8 Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4927938/. Accessed 2 Nov 2018.
- 7.Harisinghani MG, McLoud TC, Shepard JA, Ko JP, Shroff MM, Mueller PR. Tuberculosis from head to toe. Radiographics 2000; 20:449–70; quiz 528–9, 532.Google Scholar
- 8.Chong VH, Lim KS. Gastrointestinal tuberculosis. Singap Med J. 2009;50:638–45 quiz 646.Google Scholar
- 23.La Seta F, Buccellato A, Albanese M, et al. Radiology and adult celiac disease. Current indications of small bowel barium examinations. Radiol Med. 2004;108:515–21.Google Scholar
- 29.Kim JS, Park SH, Hansel S, Fletcher JG. Imaging and screening of cancer of the small bowel. Radiol Clin North Am. 2017;55:1273–91.Google Scholar
- 33.Mensah Y, Glover-Addy H, Etwire V, Appeadu-Mensah W, Twum M. Ultrasound guided hydrostatic reduction of intussusception in children at Korle Bu Teaching Hospital: An Initial Experience. Ghana Med J. 2011;45:128–31.Google Scholar