Quality of Life (QoL) and the Factors Affecting it in Transfusion-dependent Thalassemic Children
To evaluate the Quality of life (QoL) and the factors affecting it in transfusion-dependent thalassemic children.
Current study was conducted at Department of Pediatrics, Dr. SNMC, Jodhpur. Ninety-three transfusion-dependent thalassemic children aged between 8 and 18 y were enrolled. Quality of life was assessed using Pediatric Quality of Life (PedsQL) measurement model in thalassemic children.
Mean age of children was 11.8 ± 3.2 y. Lowest mean score was observed in School functioning (57.4) while in Physical functioning, Emotional functioning and Social functioning it was 73.9, 82.2 and 83.49 respectively. Mean PedsQL score was higher in 8-12 y age group as compared to 13-18 y (p = 0.024). PedsQL score was higher in children who required transfusion once in a month (p = 0.028) and children on combined chelation therapy as compared to children who were on injectable chelator (p = 0.039). Health Related QoL was not affected with gender, education status, family history of thalassemia, ferritin level, splenectomy or consanguinity.
Factors related with low QoL in current study were higher age, increased transfusion frequency and injectable mode of chelation. In order to improve the QoL in thalassemic children appropriate programmes and interventions should be started targeting above domains.
KeywordsThalassemia Transfusion-dependent PedsQL
KC: Enrolled the patients and prepared the manuscript; VK: Designed the study and analysed and prepared the manuscript; PS: Designed, planned and analysed and prepared the manuscript; BD: Patient enrollment, data collection and analysis; SK: Data analysis, preparation of manuscript and reviewing the manuscript. PS will act as guarantor for this paper.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
- 1.Kaheni S, Yaghobian M, Sharefzadah GH, Vahidi A, Ghorbani H, Abderahemi A. Quality of life in children with Β-thalassemia major at center for special diseases. Iran J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2013;3:108–13.Google Scholar
- 9.Gupta M, Jindal R. Quality of life in patients with thalassemia major. Int J Sci Res. 2016;5:41–2.Google Scholar
- 11.Akbar Bagloo M, Habibpour Z. Relationship between mental health and use of agreeable methods in the parents with thalassemia and hemophilia. UNMF. 2010;8:191–6.Google Scholar
- 14.Baraz S, Miladinia M, Nouri EM. A comparison of quality of life between adolescences with beta thalassemia major and their healthy peers. Int J Pediatr. 2016;4:1195–204.Google Scholar
- 23.Dahlui M, Hishamshah MI, Rahman AJA, Aljunid SM. Quality of life in transfusion dependent thalassaemia patients on desferrioxamine treatment. Singap Med J. 2009;50:794–9.Google Scholar