Rising Obesity in Children: A Serious Public Health Concern
- 218 Downloads
According to recent data from 195 countries, childhood obesity has increased globally, affecting a total of 107.7 million children in the year 2015 . The rate of increase in prevalence of obesity and type 2 diabetes is higher in children than in adults . Pediatric obesity predisposes to lifelong excess weight  and raises a person’s risk of significant comorbidities, including breathing problems, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, musculoskeletal disorders, mood disturbances, metabolic syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome, glucose intolerance, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, atherosclerosis already starting in childhood and even many cancers [1, 3]. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of obesity-related death in many countries .
Despite efforts to combat these trends, existing prevention and intervention strategies have not curtailed rising obesity rates in children [1, 4], possibly because they do not sufficiently address the underlying contributors. In modern...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
- 11.Aggarwal B, Jain V. Obesity in children: definition, etiology and approach. Indian J Pediatr. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2531-x.
- 12.Singhal A. Early life origins of obesity and related complications. Indian J Pediatr. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2554-3.
- 13.Koves IH, Roth C. Genetic and syndromic causes of obesity and its management. Indian J Pediatr. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2502-2.
- 14.Vikram NK. Cardiovascular and metabolic complications - diagnosis and management in obese children. Indian J Pediatr. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2504-0.
- 15.Dabas A, Seth A. Prevention and management of childhood obesity. Indian J Pediatr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-018-2636-x.
- 16.Sagar R, Gupta T. Psychological aspects of obesity in children and adolescents. Indian J Pediatr. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2539-2.