Environmental Health of Children: Time to Translate Knowledge into Action
Over the past 3 decades, children’s environmental health has grown significantly and has become an important area of pediatrics. It is now well understood that children are not “little adults”. The 4 major differences between children and adults are (i) based on weight, they have proportionately greater exposures than adults to toxic chemicals in the environment (ii) children’s metabolic pathways are immature (iii) children’s delicate process of development gets easily disrupted (iv) children have more time than adults to develop chronic diseases as may be triggered by environmental exposures in early life.
In 2015, World Health Organisation report revealed that reducing environmental risks could have prevented more than a quarter of the 5.9 million deaths of children under 5 years . Environmental pollution; Air, Water, Soil, Food and Sound were responsible for 9 million premature deaths in 2015. Ninety two percent (92%) of deaths occur in low and middle income countries, three...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
- 1.Inheriting a sustainable world? Atlas on Children’s Health and the Environment. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2017. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.Google Scholar
- 2.The Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health. Lancet. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32345-0.
- 3.Paramesh H. Asthma and environment. Indian J Pediatr. 2006;73:S51–5.Google Scholar
- 4.Paramesh H. Air pollution and allergic airway diseases: social determinants and sustainability in the control and prevention. Indian J Pediatr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2538-3.
- 5.Kumar RR, Jayakumar PR, Krishnamohan M. Children deserve smoke free world. Indian J Pediatr. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-018-2616-1.
- 6.Gupta A, Gupta A, Jain K, Gupta S. Noise pollution and impact on children health. Indian J Pediatr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2579-7.
- 7.Devdas JM, Mckie C, Fox AT, Ratageri VH. Food allergy in children: an overview. Indian J Pediatr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2535-6.
- 8.Patil MM, Lakhkar BB, Patil SS. Curse of fluorosis. Indian J Pediatr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2574-z.
- 9.Kumar P. Role of plastics on human health. Indian J Pediatr. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2595-7.