The Journey of Newborn Screening: Inception to Conclusion
- 107 Downloads
Newborn screening has been perceived as one of the top 10 public health initiatives of the last century . The journey of this venture in India has been both exciting and challenging. Under the dynamic champion Late Professor S.S. Aggarwal, Ex director of SGPGI Lucknow and an eminent geneticist it grew from a nascent set of projects submitted to ICMR in 2002 to a Task Force Multi-institutional Collaborative project . The wings of the Indian Council of Medical Research were most appropriate to nurture this from its inception to its conclusion. In this paper we describe the challenges and joyous moments of this journey. Late Professor Taranath Shetty organized a series of workshops. This translated into creation of the group deeply interested in the field of biochemical genetics. Brainstorming sessions were held which helped develop a consensus.
The inclusion of disorders was based on the Wilson & Jeugner criteria. They were evaluated in terms of translational benefit,...
Writing Group: Dr. Seema Kapoor, Dr. Arun Singh. Steering Group: Late Dr. SS Aggarwal (Chairperson), Dr. I C Verma, Dr. Veena Kalra, Dr. Vasantha Muthuswamy and Dr. Vijay Kumar.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Source of Funding
Indian Council of Medical Research.
- 1.Ten great public health achievements. United States 2001–2010. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:619–23.Google Scholar
- 2.Dutta R. ICMR to conduct first nation-wide newborn screening for genetic disorders. Express Healthcare Management [Internet]. 2005. Available at: http://www.expresshealthcaremgmt.com/20050915/coverstory01.shtml. Accessed on 7th June 2017.
- 5.ICMR Task Force on Inherited Metabolic Disorders. Newborn screening for congenital hypothyroidism and congenital adrenal hyperplasia: report of the ICMR National Task Force project. Indian J Pediatr. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-018-2645-9.
- 6.Kapoor S, Thelma BK. Status of newborn screening and inborn errors of metabolism in India: a brief review. Indian J Pediatr. 2018. (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.ICMR Task Force on Inherited Metabolic Disorders. High Risk stratified screening. Indian J Pediatr. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2545-4.
- 8.ICMR Task Force on Inherited Metabolic Disorders. Normative data for thyroid stimulating hormone for screening of congenital hypothyroidism. Indian J Pediatr 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-017-2550-7.