How to Keep a Child Healthy?
- First Online:
- 16 Downloads
Keeping a child healthy is the most important priority of every parent. The child can be kept healthy by ensuring exclusive breastfeeding for first 6 mo of life, maintaining healthy weight throughout the childhood, providing adequate and balanced diet, promoting regular physical activity and adequate sleep, keeping a watch on all the parameters of development and referring the child to the specialist whenever deviation from normal is suspected. Proper and timely immunization as per the prevailing guidelines must be done to prevent serious infections. Stress should also be given on promoting oral as well as mental health besides other important general measures to improve the health of the child.
KeywordsChild health Immunisation Child development
- 1.UNICEF. Breast Feeding: Foundation for a healthy future. UNICEF-Goals for 2000. Available at: https://www.unicef.org/publications/files/pub_brochure_en.pdf. Accessed 10 Feb 2017.
- 2.Horta BL, Victora CG. Long term effects of breast feeding: a systematic review. In: Horta BL, Victora CG, editors. Overweight and Obesity. Geneva: WHO; 2013. p. 13.Google Scholar
- 3.Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy Weight. About Child and Teen BMI. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html. Accessed 5 Feb 2017.
- 4.Indian Academy of Pediatrics. Revised IAP Growth Charts. Available at: http://iapindia.org/Revised-IAP-Growth-Charts-2015.php. Accessed 5 Feb 2017.
- 5.Krishnaswamy K, Sesikaran B. Dietary guidelines for Indians- a manual. Hyderabad: National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research; 2011.Google Scholar
- 6.Park K. Nutrition and health. In: Park K, editor. Park’s textbook of preventive and social medicine. 23rd ed. Jabalpur: Banarsidas Bhanot; 2015. p. 608–67.Google Scholar
- 7.American Heart Association. The AHA’s Recommendations for Physical Activity in Children. Available at: http://www.heart.org. Accessed 7 Feb 2017.
- 8.Physical Activity and Health in Children and Adolescents: A Guide for All Adults Involved in Educating Young People. Spain: Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality.Google Scholar
- 9.Sothern MS, Loftin M, Suskind RM, Udall JN, Becker U. The health benefits of physical activity in children and adolescents: implications for chronic disease prevention. Eur J Pediatr. 1999;158:271–4.Google Scholar
- 10.Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. Physical Activity Facts. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/children/. Accessed 7 Feb 2017.
- 11.Your Guide to Healthy Sleep. Bethesda, Maryland, USA: US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Health. 2011. Publication No. 11–5271.Google Scholar
- 12.Sleep is important to our child’s health. Virginia Institute of Sleep Medicine. Available at: www.vasleepmedicine.org. Accessed 7 Feb 2017.
- 13.Hagan JF, Shaw JS, Duncan PM. Bright futures: guidelines for health supervision of infants, children, and adolescents. 3rd ed. Elk Grove Village: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2008.Google Scholar
- 14.Bhattacharya A. Global developmental delay. In: Gupta BD, Maheshwari RK, Parakh M, Purohit A, Kumar M, editors. Recent Advances in Pediatrics, Vol. 2. Barmer: IAP Barmer branch: Pediatric Neurology; 2013. p. 4–11.Google Scholar
- 15.Juneja M. Developmental assessment of a child. In: Gupta BD, Maheshwari RK, Parakh M, Purohit A, Kumar M, editors. Recent Advances in Pediatrics, Vol. 2. Barmer: IAP Barmer branch: Pediatric Neurology; 2013. p. 12–27.Google Scholar
- 16.Current UIP Schedule. Available at: https://www.nhp.gov.in/sites/default/files/pdf/immunization_uip.pdf. Accessed 8 Feb 2017.
- 17.Early Childhood Caries. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. Available at: www.aapd.org. Accessed 9 Feb 2017.
- 18.Prevention and Management of Dental Caries in children: Dental Clinical Guidance. Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness Programme. Dundee Dental Education Centre, Frankland building, Small's Wynd, Dundee DD1 4HN, 2010.Google Scholar