Management of malignant insulinoma
- 922 Downloads
Malignant insulinoma is an infrequent functional endocrine tumor of the pancreas. Adequate therapy is a demanding challenge for oncologists and endocrinologists.
To evaluate the results of multidisciplinary management of malignant insulinoma.
Materials and methods
Retrospective review of patients with malignant insulinoma treated from 1995 to 2011.
Seven patients with malignant insulinoma were included: four males and three females; median age was 61.8 years (range 37–78). Six tumors were sporadic and one was diagnosed in a patient with a type 1 multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN-1). Surgery was performed in six cases and one patient was considered unresectable. Hypoglycemias persisted in all cases and somatostatin analogs, glucocorticoids and diazoxide were used. Two patients received everolimus. Other techniques were chemoembolization and internal radiation therapy with yttrium-90. Successful liver transplant was done in the patient with MEN-1.
Hypoglycemia management is complex and requires multiple therapies. Further evaluations will be necessary to determine the best treatment.
KeywordsInsulinoma Neuroendocrine pancreatic tumor Hypoglycemia Islet cell tumors
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 11.de Sá S, Corrêa-Giannella ML, Machado MC, de Souza J, Pereira M, Patzina R, Siqueira S, Machado M, Giannella-Neto D (2006) Somatostatin receptor subtype 5 (SSTR5) mRNA expression is related to histopathological features of cell proliferation in insulinomas. Endocr Relat Cancer 13:69–78PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Petersenn S, Schopohl J, Barkan A, Mohideen P, Colao A, Abs R, Buchelt A, Ho YY, Hu K, Farrall AJ, Melmed S, Pasireotide Acromegaly Study Group (2010) Pasireotide (SOM230) demonstrates efficacy and safety in patients with acromegaly: a randomized, multicenter, phase II trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2781–2789PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Yao JC, Shah MH, Ito T, Bohas CL, Wolin EM, Van Cutsem E, Hobday TJ, Okusaka T, Capdevila J, de Vries EG, Tomassetti P, Pavel ME, Hoosen S, Haas T, Lincy J, Lebwohl D, Öberg K (2011) RAD001 in advanced neuroendocrine tumors, THIRD TRial (RADIANT-3) Study Group. N Engl J Med 364:514–523PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Bégu-Le Corroller A, Valéro R, Moutardier V, Henry JF, Le Treut YP, Gueydan M, De Micco C, Sierra M, Conte-Devolx B, Oliver C, Raccah D, Favre R, Digue L, Heim M, Seitz JF, Delpero JR, Vialettes B (2008) Aggressive multimodal therapy of sporadic malignant insulinoma can improve survival: a retrospective 35-year study of 12 patients. Diabetes Metab 34:343–348PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Maiza JC, Vezzosi D, Grunenwald S, Otal P, Guimbaud R, Bennet A, Caron P (2011) Treatment with somatostatin analogues and chemoembolization of liver metastases for severe hypoglycemia in malignant insulinomas. J Endocrinol Invest 34:253–258Google Scholar