Olfactory Function and Age: a Sniffin’ Sticks Extended Test Study Performed in Sardinia
- 101 Downloads
Several studies evaluated the influence of cultural components on the Sniffin’ Sticks Identification Test in different countries. The aim of this study was to analyze the olfactory function in a large sample of healthy subjects living in Sardinia, an island known for its historic genetic isolation, in relation to different age ranges to provide new data in healthy Sardinian subjects.
Olfactory perception of 161 participants (108 females and 53 males; age range 19–78 years) was assessed through three different parameters: odor detection threshold, discrimination, and identification by means of the Sniffin’Sticks Extended test (SST).
Our results show that young adults were generally normosmic, while in subjects over 55, a statistically significant age-related decrease of all the parameters was observed. Regarding odor identification task, a few, such as leather, apples, lemons, cloves, and pineapples, were frequently incorrectly identified by participants probably due to the similarities between the odors and distractors.
Conclusion and Implications
Our data provide a comprehensive evaluation of the three olfactory components in the Sardinian population and confirm a decrease in the odor detection threshold, discrimination and identification as well as in the global TDI score in subjects over 55 years of age. These results may be useful in providing normative values for routine clinical use of the SSET in Sardinian subjects.
KeywordsOlfactory function Odor detection threshold Odor identification Odor discrimination Sniffin’ Sticks Extended Test
The authors thank all the participants for their availability and Dr. David Nilson for improving the English text. This work was supported by a grant from the University of Cagliari (Progetti di Ricerca di Interesse Dipartimentale, PRID 2016).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare the they have no conflicts of interest.
This study was approved by the local Ethics Committee and was performed according to the Declaration of Helsinki (2008).
Participants received an explanatory statement and gave their written informed consent to participate in the study.
- Cătană I, Negoias S, Maniu A, Porojan M, Cosgarea M (2012) A modified version of “Sniffin’ sticks” odor identification test: the Romanian cultural adaptation. Otorinolaringologie 85:218–223Google Scholar
- Cavazzana A, Wesarg C, Schriever VA, Hummel T, Lundström JN, Parma V (2016) Cross-cultural adaptation of the Sniffin’ Sticks Olfactory Identification Test for US children. Chem Senses 00:1–8Google Scholar
- Cenedese V, Mezzavilla M, Morgan A, Marino R, Ettorre CP, Margaglione M, Gasparini P, Menini A (2015) Assessment of the olfactory function in Italian patients with type 3 von Willebrand disease caused by a homozygous 253 kb deletion involving VWF and TMEM16B/ANO2. PLoS One 10(1):e0116483CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Denzer-Lippmann MY, Beauchamp J, Freiherr J, Thuerauf N, Kornhuber J, Buettner A (2016) Development and validation of a food-associated olfactory test (FAOT). Chem Senses 42(1):47–57Google Scholar
- Doty RL, Kamath V (2014) The influence of age on olfaction: a review. Front Phycol 5(20):1–20Google Scholar
- Eibenstein A, Fioretti AB, Lena C, Rosati N, Ottaviano I, Fusetti M (2005) Olfactory screening test: experience in 102 Italian subjects. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 25:18–22Google Scholar
- Fagundo AB, Jiménez-Murcia S, Giner-Bartolomé C, Islam MA, de la Torre R, Pastor A, Casanueva FF, Crujeiras AB, Granero R, Baños R, Botella C, Fernández-Real JM, Frühbeck G, Gómez-Ambrosi J, Menchón JM, Tinahones FJ, Fernández-Aranda F (2015) Modulation of higher-order olfaction components on executive functions in humans. PLoS One 10(6):e0130319CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Francalacci P, Morelli L, Angius A, Berutti R, Reiner F, Atzeni R, Pilu R, Busonero F, Maschio A, Zara I, Sanna D, Useli A, Urru MF, Marceli M, Cusano F, Oppo M, Zoledziewska M, Pitzalis M, Deidda F, Porcu E, Poddie F, Kang HM, Lyons R et al (2013) Low-pass DNA sequencing of 1200 Sardinians reconstructs European Y-chromosome phylogeny. Science 341(6145):565–569CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Francalacci P, Sanna D, Useli A, Berutti R, Barbato M, Whalen MB, Angius A, Sidore C, Alonso S, Tofanelli S, Cucca F (2015) Detection of phylogenetically informative polymorphisms in the entire euchromatic portion of human Y chromosome from a Sardinian sample. BMC Res Notes 8:174–187CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Godoy MDCL, Voegels RL, Pinna FR, Imamura R, Farfel JM (2015) Olfaction in neurologic and neurodegenerative diseases: a literature review. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 19:176–179Google Scholar
- Haener A, Hummel T, Reichmann H (2014) A clinical approach towards smell loss in Parkinson's disease. J Parkinsons Dis 4:189–195Google Scholar
- Hummel T, Whitcroft KL, Andrews P, Altundag A, Cinghi C, Costanzo RM, Damm M, Frasnelli J, Gudziol H, Gupta N, Haener A, Holbrook E, Konstantinidis I, Landis BN, Leopold DA, Macchi A, Miwa T, Moesges R, Mullol J, Mueller CA et al (2017) Position paper on olfactory dysfunction. Rhinology 54(26). https://doi.org/10.4193/Rhin16.248
- Kobal G, Klimek L, Wolfensberger M, Gudziol H, Temmel A, Owen CM, Seeber H, Pauli E, Hummel T (2000) Multicenter investigation of 1,036 subjects using a standardized method for the assessment of olfactory function combining tests of odor identification, odor discrimination, and olfactory thresholds. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 257:205–211CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Konstantinidis I, Printza A, Genetzaki S, Mamali K, Kekes G, Constantinidis J (2008) Cultural adaptation of an olfactory identification test: the Greek version of Sniffin’ Sticks. Rhinology 46:292–296Google Scholar
- Kumazaki H, Muramatsu T, Fujisawa TX, Miyao M, Matsuura E, Okada K, Kasaoka H, Tomoda A, Mimura M (2016) Assessment of olfactory detection thresholds in children with autism spectrum disorders using a pulse ejection system. Mol Autism 7(6). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13229-016-0071-2
- Maremmani C, Rossi G, Tambasco N, Fattori B, Pierroni A, Ramat S, Napolitano A, Vanni P, Serra P, Piersanti P, Zanetti M, Coltelli M, Orsini M, Marconi R, Purcaro C, Calabresi A, Meco G (2012) The validity and reliability of the Italian olfactory identification test (IOIT) in healthy subjects and in Parkinson’s disease patients. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 18:788–793CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Olivieri A, Sidore C, Achili A, Angius A, Posth C, Furtwängler A, Brandini S, Capodiferro MR, Gandini F, Zoledziewska M, Pitzalis M, Maschio A, Busonero F, Lai L, Skeates R, Gradoli MG, Becket J, Marongiu M, Mazzarello V et al (2017) Mitogenome diversity in Sardinians: a genetic window onto an Island’s past. Mol Biol Evol 34(5):1230–1239CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rombaux P, Duprez T, Hummel T (2009) Olfactory bulb volume in the clinical assessment of olfactory dysfunction. Rhinology 47(1):3–9Google Scholar